Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:43:08 AM

Author Topic: Leaving a tab on cut out parts  (Read 7067 times)

Leaving a tab on cut out parts
« on: February 25, 2007, 09:31:35 PM »
Hello,

I've been trying to figure out how to leave a few tabs on the parts I'm cutting out of HDPE so that they don't move around and get caught in the path of the bit on the final pass. I'm using AutoCAD to save as DXF, loading the DXF in LazyCAM and creating the G-Code and then loading the G-Code in Mach3.

I can't seem to find a solution to this anywhere.  ???

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Leaving a tab on cut out parts
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 10:02:37 PM »
Hey Sparky,
    Have you looked at the video tutors? I can't remember but I think it showed that in one of them. I may have seen that on a totally different cam package all together. I'm on the uphill side of a steep learning curve and sometimes my clutch slips.  ;D I tell myself that to avoid the reality of the fact that I may be losing it.  ;D

http://www.machsupport.com/videos.htm

Brett
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 10:07:07 PM by Chaoticone »
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 10:16:55 PM »
Thanks Brett,

I've looked through most of it but will look again. In the LazyCAM videos it stats that you can only have one cut depth per chain and to move any items you want to cut to a different depth to another layer, but I don't believe that will help me in this case. Will keep looking.
 :)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:41:51 PM »
Sparky, I think it is covered about 9 minutes into this one.

http://www.machsupport.com/lazycam3/lazycam3.html

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:14:56 PM »
Thanks again Brett,

That's the same video that I was talking about, however it is not what I'm after or if it is, it's beyond me as I'm just not seeing it.
I understand that I can move a chain to a different layer to have a different cut depth but don't see how it will help me when I need to leave small taps in the cut path to keep the part in place.  :)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2007, 11:29:00 PM »
Hi, Sparky

Generate the tabs in your Cad, wont that get you there.

Gust a Thought, Chip
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2007, 07:46:53 AM »
Thanks Chip,

Yes, I could draw the part with the tabs in it but then wouldn't that create more chains? Say I want to cut out a circle and leave 3 tabs in place to keep the part from moving around on the final pass. Would I not then be going from one chain (cutting the entire circle) to creating 3 chains? I've seen several videos of parts being cut out were the bit raises up to pass over the uncut area (tab) and then drop back down to continue cutting.

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2007, 08:46:14 PM »
Hi, Sparky

If you generate 2 layers have layer 0ne do 90% of your cut depth the second layer trim out 3 small sections for the final cut would be the same as you stated, "were the bit raises up to pass over the uncut area (tab) and then drop back down to continue cutting".

Once you load it into LasyCam Right click in the second layer theres a option to select Multiple Items / chain's.

My son wrote a dos cnc program that would cutout Sprew's in a round mold that you could select how many. there width inner and outer limits, sorta the same but different.

The multi layer may work just fine, these things always take a little work, at least it forces es our Cad skills to Improve.

I need a-lo-ta-work in that department.

Thanks, Chip

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 11:18:47 AM »
Sparky, what version of AutoCAD are you using? I'm planning on rewriting my AutoCAD g-code macro soon (2002 and newer), and was hoping to add the ability to add tabs. I'm pretty busy right now, but might start working on it in the near future.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 07:47:49 PM »
Whoops, I completly lost track of this topic... sorry about that and thanks to all that replied!
I ended up purchasing VCarve Pro and it has the tabs feature so that solved my problem when I use that program.

Chip, when I get a chance I'll give that a  try!
Thanks for your help!