Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:12:54 PM

Author Topic: CAN ANYONE HELP WITH DENFORD TRIAC MACH 3 CONVERSION SOUTHERN ENGLAND?  (Read 6712 times)

CAN ANYONE HELP WITH DENFORD TRIAC MACH 3 CONVERSION SOUTHERN ENGLAND?

I EXPECT TO PAY FOR THIS NEED FACE TO FACE HELP IDEALLY THE MACHINE HAS A TOOLCHANGER.

ANY HELP ON FINDING SOMEONE THAT MAY BE SUITABLE WOULD BE GREAT

MANY THANKS

STEVE
Re: CAN ANYONE HELP WITH DENFORD TRIAC MACH 3 CONVERSION SOUTHERN ENGLAND?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 10:33:21 AM »
Hi Steve, I have converted, with a little help a 1988 Denford Triac mill some 5 years ago. I can give you advice, drawings and parts needed but don't want to travel because I spent 2 days fine tuning mine to get it all running OK. I'm no electronics expert in fact I'm thick as far as understanding anything I can't see moving, however its not that complicated if you have a multi-meter and some electrical connecting blocks you can do it!
PS I dumped my auto tool-changer as the Denford Pneumatics and electronics were not compatible with Mach and need a lot more electronics. The tool-changer tended to stick more times than it worked and you needed 100psi air pressure all the time your machine is running. I can do most of my hobbyist work with a 8mm end mill so tool change by hand.
Jim (Birmingham UK)
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 02:28:05 PM »
Hi Jim,

I just picked up a triac without the atc.
Doing the conversion to mach3 as well.

Do you still have the dumped atc on hand?

Regards,
Jens

--
gallenat0r
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 03:44:31 PM »
Hi Jens, sorry mate I got rid of it on Ebay. It was a nightmare when it was on the manual machine before I converted it. It was driven by pneumatics, 3 pistons and two large boxes of electronics and also had to have the spindle stop in the exact rotational position within 1 degree  for the BT35 holders driving dogs to engage in the spindle and tool changer to work. Add to that when the spindle got warm the pneumatics were not powerful enough at 100psi to release the spindle taper, had to tap it with a copper hammer to release it.  If you have BT35 holders you defiantly need to stop the spindle in the exact position, once you have done this the best way is to utilise a 4 axis steeper driven rotary unit with 6 tool holder slots, so cutting out the need for extra electronics. (PS the draw bar was also activated with pneumatic pressure) I now use a pneumatic push button and a dwell in the program to change tools, somewhat defeats the idea of CNC, but I'm a retired engineering hobbyist so time is not a factor.
Jim
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 05:39:19 PM »
No worries :)

I just found out that my triac isn't ISO30 but instead R8.

It has a quick change tool holder of sorts that I think confused the seller about the spindle.

So now I'm thinking I'll machine holders for that and forget about atc for now  ;D

Do you perchance know what the holders are called?

Regards,
Jens

--
gallenat0r

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 05:46:36 PM »
Looks like Royal Quick Change system
http://www.royalprod.com/img/category/upload/R8_QC.pdf
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 05:53:54 PM »
It sure looks like it, albeit a generation or two older.
Might be a fun project for the lathe and good practice for me ;)

Regards,
Jens
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 06:42:55 PM »
they are Coventry easichange holders, available from most engineers merchants and the original manufacturer.

I may even have a few lying around somewhere.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 06:46:18 PM by angel tech »
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »
Depending on what you want for them I might be interested!

Regards,
Jens

--
gallenat0r
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2013, 02:17:59 PM »
i'll have a nose and see what I have. They pop up on ebay every now and then and sell for around £30 ish for a basic sidelock to £60 for a large collet holder or chuck.