Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 11:25:14 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 as manual Cmm using linear scales?  (Read 10021 times)

Mach3 as manual Cmm using linear scales?
« on: September 24, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
Hello
Ive got a knee mill running Mach3 with Pmdx breakout running gecko drivers and soundlogic encoder interface board. Ive wired the BOB to a switch to power down the steppers so I can use mill in manual mode with two axis Dro. I want to hook a renisha probe (al

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
Re: Mach3 as manual Cmm using linear scales?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 10:38:10 AM »
Renushaw probe (already have). I would like to use this setup to measure profile (x and y).
I plan on using it later for surfaces in a 3d fashion. But i need to mrasure some profile now.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 11:04:42 AM »
DID you want to do it manually or in Auto mode?

(;-) TP
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »
Manual mode. The steppers would be powered off, but my linear scale would still be reading position.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:13 AM »
What you would do in this case is route your scales to the encoder input of Mach3. THis will give you a DISPLAY of the scales positions.

Then create a script to write the encoder DROs  EncX, EnxY,EnZ to a Pointfile . Use a keyboard hotkey to activate the button.

Then move to a position , use the button, move to position ,use the button.

I did this years ago and it worked fine for gathering points data. You can also create functions to make a Measurement frome point to point and return a value.

NOW there is NO standard feature in MAch3 for this. In stock form the best you can do is manual write the point data on paper then create a DXF from that data.

I later created the Probing arrays to do an auto profile of a part to gather all the points and write to file.  There is an exterior and interior array. They are in the Mach Tool Box section of this site.

(;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
Great info. Linear encoder are already givin feedback to mach in the settings screen. Ill have to look for your plugin. Thank you