Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:12:10 AM

Author Topic: Copycat questions.  (Read 7327 times)

Copycat questions.
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
I am fairly new to the world of cnc, but have managed to build my own cnc router with good success.
I'm using Mach3 to run the machine and Vcarve Pro and Solidworks for my cad work.

I just recently mounted a camera to my spindle. This is mainly going to be used as an origin finder for when I place the stock onto my table.
However, I would like to use the camera for more than just that.
I frequently design stuff the old fashioned way using cardboard templates. Because of this, I've been looking at getting CopyCat and digitizing these patterns.
By digitizing I'm only refering to a profile outline and some holes etc. I'm not wanting a 3D representation of the object.

Now my question is this.
Once I have traced the pattern using CopyCat and generated the gcode, can I open that gcode file in say Vcarve Pro for further editing or modifing, or am I limited to only having the gcode file?
I realise that I can edit the code but this would be time consuming.
Is there a different way I can do this, that is better maybe?

I have found many good topics relating to CopyCat, but haven't come up with an answer to my question.
I appreciate any help.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Copycat questions.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 10:21:09 PM »
 I worte a user guide for CopyCat which can be found in Member's Doc's.

I don't use V Carve Pro so can't help you with that software.
What you can do is backplot the G code, which converts the gcode to a dxf file  / drawing.
You will need software to backplot the G code.

RICH
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 11:05:28 PM »
Thanks Rich.
I downloaded the users guide after I posted the question. I'm working my way through it.
I'll look into some programs for backplotting.
Solidworks may have some thing that will do it. I'll do some searching.

Ozy.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 11:40:25 AM »
You could do Jog probing instead of copy cat. With jog probing you just collect points around the perimeter to define the shape then Import those points into CAD and create a DXF drawing.

OR use a probing array(interior or exterior) to auto collect the points. ( In the MachToolBox on this site)

OR use CopyCat and then convert the Gcode BACK to a dxf.

IF you collect points close enough together you can add a few lines of code to the points file and it becomes a GCODE file. Use that as a sub and you can cut to depth in steps just like a normal Cammed program does.

There are many ways it can be done.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 11:43:58 AM by BR549 »