Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 07:14:50 AM

Author Topic: any advice welcome  (Read 4946 times)

any advice welcome
« on: September 18, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Hi , im looking at retrofitting my Hurco BMC with mach3 , i have done a few machines before but only a knee mill, lathe  and plasma cutter, this is a whole new ball game , im thinking of retaining the Yasakawa 10bb1bf drives if at all possible and getting mach to control them as I beleave there + or _ 10v also retaining the spindle drive as well if I can , the nightmare will be the ATC and spindle orientation , would appreciate any advice if anyone has ever used these drives ? or had any experience with any of the things I may come across

regards

Jamie

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: any advice welcome
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 01:14:35 PM »
Not used Yaskawas but I do have my Chiron running with analogue input drives, I use the CSMIO/IP-A controller and I love it :) The CSMIO has spindle orientation option in its plugin, I have not used it as I dont need to, so cant say how well it works.
My toolchanger is via a PLC although I could have done it via the CSMIO and some additional I/O modules. Reason I went PLC is twofold, first I already had one and second I am better at ladder logic than VB script.

Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 01:43:52 PM »
Interesting project. I'm like Hood, I have a PLC in my CNC to handle the I/O. Take a look at AutomationDirect PLCs. DL05 or a Click would probably do it for you.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 04:56:19 PM »
Thanks guys , I didn't think about PLC that makes sense , did do a little with PLC,s a few years back so will have to refresh myself , will have a look at CSMIO/IP-A Controller Hood as I'm undecided on what controller to use   

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:05:03 PM »
Depending on your VB skills a PLC may not be required if you go with the CSMIO as it has quite a lot of I/O and can be expanded considerably and they are 24v so no messing about converting from 5v like you have to do with a lot of other controllers..
Hood
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 01:17:38 PM »
Had a look at those CSMIO controllers Hood ,  they do look ideal and as you say have the options to ad more i/o connections , just need to look into what's involved in the tool change operation and what I need to control to get it to work along with spindle orientation as I think there's some type of spindle position sensor along with the encoder on the top of the motor , but defiantly lots to get my head around 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 01:27:37 PM »
If using the CSMIO then you likely wouldnt need the spindle sensor although I suppose you could use it anyway as a safety feature to make sure before you changed.
Reason I say you wouldnt need is you can tell the CSMIO what angle you wish the spindle to stop at.
As said never tried it as the Chiron actually needs the spindle turning at around 200rpm  during a tool change but thats what the plugin seems to suggest anyway, see screenshot.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
That's a cool option , one less thing to worry about , I need to test all my drives including the spindle drive with 0 to 10 first to make sure everything's ok then go down the road of sorting the controller out . After all if the drives have issues then I may as well  change the drives for step/direc ones then the controller won't be a problem

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:48:16 PM »
Personally I would still go with analogue drives even if getting new. Reason I say that is the CSMIO/IP-A will update Machs DROs from the encoders. That means you can even have the servos disabled and rotate them by hand and Mach still knows where it is. Also once initially homed you can E-Stop Mach and even if the axis have moved from the position you pressed the E-Stop Mach will know the true position.
 I know the Hicon which is a step/Dir controller also can use encoder feedback but I am not sure if it is simply for error detection in the Hicon itself or whether the DROs in Mach get updated.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
Yea true , what analogue drives  would you use