Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:32:37 PM

Author Topic: Parallel cable question?  (Read 2746 times)

Offline gerrymoore

•  3 3
  • cnc expert...well nearly!
    • View Profile
Parallel cable question?
« on: September 17, 2013, 04:19:34 AM »
Hi all...sorry to ask a question on my first post.   I've been using Mach3 on my homebuilt plasma CNC for a a long time.  I've had lots of issues with one or more axis 'freezing' when the plasma starts up but now I'm in real trouble!!

The plasma 'stuttered' badly the other day and blew my breakout board...the Z axis wouldn't move at all and the X and Y wouldn't reverse...just went the same way when reversed.....suspect a blown hex inverter or something on the BOB.

Got a new BOB yesterday and the motors are now fine again....the on board relay from pin 14 works fine too but I cannot get the limit switch inputs to work at all.  I have tried 3 separate PC's so I know it's not a motherboard problem. 

I suspect the new BOB but the only other thing different is the parallel cable I'm using.  All my previous BOBs have had a female socket so I've used a male to male lead.....this one has a male socket.  I managed to dig out a male to female lead and now I have this input problem.  I have asked for a replacement BOB but can anyone tell me the pinouts for the cable...the one I have is wired one to one, two to two, etc. is this right?

Need to get up and running asap as it's taken me 4 years to get to a point where I'm actually getting paid work for the CNC coming in!!!

Thanks  Gerry

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel cable question?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 08:25:09 AM »
can anyone tell me the pinouts for the cable...the one I have is wired one to one, two to two, etc. is this right?

Gerry,

You are correct it is 1-1, 2-2 etc but check them all, just in case some are crossed or missing.  ;)

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline gerrymoore

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:55:45 AM »
Thanks Tweakie.....I did check every pin and they all seemed OK.....it's a new cable anyway......I'm hoping it's the BOB but must admit, modern electronics are reliable and can't see why it would be faulty...fingers xd the new one sorts me out.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 09:48:13 PM »
Are you using an adapter or a complete cable? I had a problem with the metal shell of a DB25 cable touching the case, a plastic adapter solved it. Mine now works but I know there must be a grounding issue. Let sleeping dogs lie.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)

Offline gerrymoore

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:46 AM »
I found out the problem...I hadn't put a 12volt input to the BOB :(  Mind you when I did get it working it promptly blew up again...I have a new, very expensive, plasma cutter on it's way - hopefully this will solve my problems...fingers x'd