Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:18:20 AM

Author Topic: Need help coordinating Mach 3 mill with another non NC machine  (Read 2476 times)

Need help coordinating Mach 3 mill with another non NC machine
« on: September 14, 2013, 01:03:49 AM »
I want to use Mach 3 mill to feed one axis, and rotate an indexer on a vertical shaper. I have a Sherline on Mach3 and can do some simple G code. In the shaper conversion I need to stop the X axis feed until the tool is clear of the part. I only know how to use M6, tool change, to freeze the G code. I could put an axillary switch to the mouse and position the cursor on the screen program start button, but this is clumsy. The G code would go something like this G1X(feed distance from current position)M6 G1X(feed distance from current position) When the tool has taken a cut and is on the way up with the tool clear of the part, the switch would activate start and the G code would perform the next move, and freeze when it comes to M6. This would continue until desired depth of slot was cut, a time out to allow finish strokes, then G0 to X position clear of the work diameter. The other axis would then index the part and the same feed program would repeat. I have a quote for Gecko drive hardware using a MB-02V6 breakout board. It has home switch, limit switch, spindle index switch, tool height switch and an external enable switch. It would be nice to be able to use one of these inputs to trigger a program start mimicking the mouse. Also it would be nice to have a "program complete" output to turn off the shaper motor. There is a possibility of a consulting fee for help. I have pictures and details I can email. Melbournekent,
 kent17@tpg.com.au

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Need help coordinating Mach 3 mill with another non NC machine
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
Kent have you talked with Peter Homman. He is down your way. It can be done. Can you post a picture of your setup ?  Or a simple drawing of how it works.

(;-) TP
Re: Need help coordinating Mach 3 mill with another non NC machine
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:13:00 PM »
I have a Sherline rotary table. I can get it to turn but need the motor tuning numbers to get it indexing.
It is on a Sherline driver box running from Mach3