Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:48:14 PM

Author Topic: Recommendations for a replacement breakout board.  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Shaun

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Recommendations for a replacement breakout board.
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:15:20 PM »
Hello forum, I have a milling machine that I converted to PC control about 7 years ago, at the time breakout boards where in there infancy, so I made my own, well sort off!!, it actually consists of several boards, relay, charge pump, inverter control, etc etc.

I currently run two printer ports and have three Gecko Drive servo controllers (80vdc) for x,y,z, and one stepper controller for the 4th axis.

I also purchased but never got round to using a none Ethernet smoothstepper about 3 years ago.

So can anyone recommend a breakout board to replace the above but still allow me to use my servo and stepper controllers.

Would I be as well to switch to the smoothstepper now, and or should I replace it with an Ethernet one or other make of controller, also taking into account the imminent release of Mach 4! :)

Any help and or advice on this would be very much appreciated.

I'm in the UK buy the way

TIA

Shaun.

Offline Shaun

•  15 15
    • View Profile
Re: Recommendations for a replacement breakout board.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:51:36 PM »
I should perhaps mention the miller currently works fine, I'm just thinking its time to update.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:21:06 PM »
If it works well then why change?
However if changing personally I would update the whole system and go more industrial with things.
Things  like 24v I/O and  differential step/dir signals so my preference would be the products from CS-Lab :)
If just wanting a breakout board however then PMDX were (dont need them now with CSMIO stuff) my choice due to their excellent build quality.
Hood
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
I will say the the stuff from PMDX is great. I have a PMDX/ESS setup on my mill. Running about a year now and it just works.
-Wes