Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:29:26 AM

Author Topic: X axis will ONLY move in one direction  (Read 25499 times)

Re: X axis will ONLY move in one direction
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 12:10:04 AM »
your xml file is generated whenever you set up your machine.  it can be found in C:/Mach3/yourmachinename.xml.  To find the problem I will need to see your file.....if it is software related.  

the jog on/off is an led on the program run screen under "tool information" about dead center bottom.  Or Ctrl-alt-J.  to change your jog settings hit 'tab' and an mpg looking window will pop up.  

i'm thinking it is a hardware problem.  ie common jumper loose, common not connected.  since you just installed a new driver that is not likely........unless it is not connected well at the BOB.  You may have trapped insulation under the 'dir' connection at the BOB.  Or if you installed the new driver by connecting a Euro plug and not screwing new wires under terminals then you may have re-installed your problem.  put a meter between the dir+ and dir- terminals at the driver and jog the x both ways.  One way should make 5v.  the other way should make 0v.  I don't think that wire size would be an issue.  I have used LAN (Cat5) cable on some BOBs and that is 22ga wire.  

go to config/ports & Pins/Motor Outputs.  Make sure that step port/dir port are set to the port that you are using.

what make/model BOB are you using?  do you have more pins available?  If so try moving the x to next pair of axis pins and reconfiguring your x axis to those pins in Config/Ports & Pins/Motor Outputs.  

Bob
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2016, 05:13:04 PM »
Well, you where totally correct, the jog button was disable, but perhaps the most impressive fact is that my common wire was loose almost everywhere!! as a matter of fact now I'm scratching my head asking my self how under the blue heaven this machine have been working so, so well for such a long time!! its is something that literally leave me speechless!!

One last question... if it is not to much to ask, would you please tell me how to  make a copy of the current full settings so I can come back in case the computer to a good point?? I mean like a back up point! something that will save my rear end from this kind of ridiculous and humbling situation??

Thanks in advance!
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2016, 07:43:27 PM »
Mach 3 automatically keeps a backup of your last 21 settings files. If you go to operator/restore settings you can restore to the settings of any of the previous 21 sessions.  You should also backup the .xml file on a regular basis.  It is best to back it up on optical media as if you lose your hard drive you can at least get back your settings without going thru the entire process.
Bob
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 07:44:52 PM »
I also find that tightening connections should be a part of a preventive maintenance program.  I check mine monthly.
Bob
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2016, 08:34:53 AM »
I had the same issue. after replacing most everything , it proved to be a bad ribbon cable
good luck
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2016, 12:19:39 PM »
Yup a bad connection almost any where can change the way that we see life... quite a humbling experience :'(  in my case, as I mentioned since I just have finish changing the entire PC breakboard  that send the data directly to the stepper drivers, I was so confident that  all and every connection was "Properly done" to find out that my Common wire was loose in more than one place.. and those motors that actually where 1/2 way properly connected where sending feedback to the other axis... it was a nightmare... but I just woke up and everything is find now!!

Never the less, I'm about to start to change the drivers and motors for a "Integrated close loop system" That by the way, It was the reason I started to do all of this movement on the wiring connections.... ??? then I find my self threading water!!

http://www.use.com/supersize.pl?set=a8b7117a17eb96bae710&p=1
Well I just hope that this incoming time my step skipping days will be a distant memory! where I have to see my cnc machine running every step waiting to see how long it will take to mess up...

Thank you all for your help and your wisdom! hope to one day to be able to help some one else!!