Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:41:30 PM

Author Topic: X axis will ONLY move in one direction  (Read 25502 times)

X axis will ONLY move in one direction
« on: September 11, 2013, 12:40:05 PM »
Hi Everyone,

SPECs:   Heiz S-720, Heiz control unit linked to PC via Parallel port and PCI card.      PC: running Windows 7 (32bit) and latest version MACH 3

I've setup MACH 3 to the best of my knowledge and checked things over and over, but whenever I Test the motors in (via the ARROW keys)  the X Axis will only move in one direction (X++).

However the X axis window on the Mach 3 interface, does indicate a X-- (negative number) as well as a X++ (positive number) when the left arrow and right arrow keys are depressed.

BOTH the Y and Z axis operate as expected when jogged by the up/down arrow keys and page-up/down keys respectively.

I've re-installed Mach 3 several times now and made sure I re-booted after installation, but the same problem exist.   >:(

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks
(Newbie)

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: X axis will ONLY move in one direction
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
A lot of times this is caused be a weak parallel port. Measure the voltage on the X axis direction pin at the drive when moving  back and forth. It should be 0V in one direction, and 5V in the other.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 01:39:50 AM »
Does the same thing happen when you activate MPG option using the TAB key and then use the mouse on the direction icons? If the axis works in both direction using this option then its a hot key setting or your keyboard is that's the problem.  If the same error occurs then try assigning the pin setting you are using for the Y axis to the X axis. If the X axis then moves in both directions and the fault moves to the Y axis then its a wrong step pin or direction pin assignment or as Gerry says port voltage problems. Remember to make a note of the pin settings before you change them so you can put them back. Finally check the wiring from the BOB and stepper drives for loose connections. Try these first and reply to the forum with what happened giving members more information then they should be able to advise you further
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 01:41:41 AM by jimthefish »
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:06:40 AM »
Check for loose Dir connection between BOB and motor driver.  I had the same problem with my Z and it was a loose wire.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 09:44:24 AM »
Many Thanks for advice guys,

Jimthefish,  I have swapped the X and Y axis pins around as you suggest, however when operating the shuttle (via the tab key) when I depress the direction arrow keys on the shuttle the X axis still moves in only one direction.  (BOTH the Z and Y axis ..... even when the pins have been swapped, work in BOTH directions).  Jim bearing in mind this is ALL completely new to me, am I correct in thinking I do not have/use a BOB (Breakout Board) with my set-up?.

PC --- Linked to Heiz step controller unit via Parallel cable.  ---  Heiz step controller unit is then connected to the Heiz S-720 cnc machine via cables supplied.

Gerry,  Have now received a multi meter which I ordered in order to carry out your suggested Voltage test.  Could you please confirm in more detail what I should do exactly to check the voltage.  Gerry, do I check this 5 volts pins at the end of the Parallel cable after detaching it from the Step-Controller unit.  Or should I be removing the cable which feeds the X axis stepper motor at the OUTPUT end of the Heiz Step-Controller unit.  Also should Mach3 be operational during testing.

Sorry for being such a numb nuts ................  but the whole world of CNC is completely new to me.

Many, Many thanks for your patience and time.

John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 09:50:01 AM »
You can measure it at the end of the parallel cable from the PC, or the actual parallel port on the PC. You want to measue the X DIR pin. With Mach3 running, you need to measure the pin while jogging in both directions.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 09:50:49 AM »
Guys,

Just one other thing Ive come across is in the Motor-plug diagram attached where it stipulates: " if the spin direction is wrong it can be changed using the software.  Just thought it might help in someway.

Regards

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 09:52:21 AM »
Thanks Gerry for the quick reply, I will do as you suggest shortly and post my results.

Have a good day
John
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2013, 10:33:49 AM »
Hi Gerry, guys

Here are my results from the voltage test.  The test was carried out by using the PINS at the end of the connected parallel cable. (Parallel cable still connected to the PC, via a PCI card and disconnected from the Heiz controller unit)

The set-up:

Pin 2   -    (my X axis control pin)
Pin 3   -    (my X axis step pin)
Pin 25 -     used as Ground

RESULTS:  (when using the Shuttle direction X- and X+ keys)

Pin 2:
X-   =   -0.01 V
X+  =   0.10 V

Pin 3:
X-   =  0.02 V
X+  =  0.02 V

Hope this helps Gerry.

Regards
John

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2013, 10:48:31 AM »
Do the test again using the keyboard jog keys (arrows).

On the direction pin, you should see 5V in one direction, and 0V in the other direction. Because you're not getting 5V, it's not changing direction.
The DIR pin is the only one you need to check (pin2)
I'd also check the dir pins for the Y and Z axis and see what you get there. If those work, than you may have a faulty port.
Gerry

2010 Screenset