Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 10:56:20 AM

Author Topic: Anyone got a clue if the "Pulley Ratio" is working with the ESS???  (Read 4674 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Anyone got a clue if the "Pulley Ratio" is working with the ESS???
« on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:04 PM »
Here is what I have: ESS, and a C32 board.

I am UNABLE to tune the spindle speed to match the spindle head gearing……
I have set the Pulley ratio for the pulley I am using to the gear ratio, and no matter WHAT I do,
Or what value I put in the Pulley ratio, it does NOT change the spindle speed!!!
   I am curious if this is a BUG, between the ESS, C32 and/or Mach3…..
BTW: because the ESS is ran by a PLUGIN, after I change the pulley ratio, I reboot mach3 so the FPGA
Is loaded with the new parameters……… but again……..  NO change of the spindle speed is noted.

So….  do you have a clue??? What to do to get spindle speed/pulley ratio working?? I am running the Lock down of M3 as well.

Scott
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone got a clue if the "Pulley Ratio" is working with the ESS???
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:40 PM »
The ratio is JUST there to adjust the number on the dro based on the spindle gearing, It was created to make a bridgeport reading correctly when in backgear. It does NOT effect actual spindle speed. Set it to 1.

Set the Pulley max speed that that pulley can acheive. That sets the span for the spindle control 0  to   set speed.

(;-) TP

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
Hmmm, well I guess I am going to have to crap shoot with the PWM/velocity settings in the hopes of getting it to match up. But unfortunately, there is no real way but trial an error, with the C32/ESS combo....... or....... hope against hope that the velocity setting will equate well to the PWM and experiment with different duty cycles......... we shall see.
The new Rev 5 C32 card has some new features, and getting the all to work together is taxing.
fun times

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 08:47:40 AM »
Well the manufacturer of the BOB 'should' know what settings to use. They have to design the PWM-> Analog circuitry with a certain PWM base frequency in mind. The Duty cycle should have a linear relationship with the output voltage. If the manufacturer of the BOB can't tell you the settings to use it makes me wonder...
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 04:31:01 PM »
Unfortunately, that also appears to be a crap shoot....
fun times