Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:08:42 PM

Author Topic: spindle not working???  (Read 4635 times)

spindle not working???
« on: September 09, 2013, 01:59:59 AM »
Hi. All . Don't know if this is the right place to put this but I"m hoping some one may have an idea for my problem. I have a chinese machine (New last Xmas and due to a long illness I have used it only about 6 or so times.) Fired it up yesterday All seems to be working BUT The spindle won't run. When I flick the switch on the control box I hear it doing something and the digital speed controller also lights up, but the spindle does not run. Have taken the 4 wire plug out of both the control box and the spindle and a continuity check of the 4 wires is good. In the Mach 3 Diagnostics page I do notice that status lights (bottom R/H corner ) The spindle is no. 1. The light is showing either dark or flashing Red.I have never noticed but should this be indicating Green??? Have even tried reinstalling Mach 3 but still no go. Have checked ports and pins etc. and all is set as it should be. Its probably some thing simple but I have no idea where to look. Can Anyone help me ????? Regards to all .....Ron.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: spindle not working???
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 07:10:12 AM »
iIt sounds more likely that its a hardware issue but if you attach your xml and also provide a link to some documentation  for your machine maybe a problem can be found.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 11:30:33 PM »
Thanks Hood. The people I bought the cnc from swapped the control box for a new one and the spindle now works. Still a bit confused though because at the bottom of mach 3 main page when I run the spindle it has a message (TOO FAST FOR PULLEY Running AT MAX) .Should I choose a different pulley do you think?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:49:15 AM »
What that message means is you are commanding a speed faster than the setting you have in Spindle Pulleys. It may be that spindle pulleys max speed is set too low or that your commanded speed is higher than your spindle can actually do.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 07:54:11 PM »
Hi.Hood. Sorry I haven't got back to you but have been away. Pulley page reads... Current pulley 4. Min speed...0.  Max speed..24000. Ratio 1. Is this ok??? Regards Ron.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
It all depends on what your spindle can do and if your feedback sensor is connected at a 1:1 ratio with your spindle.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 06:47:37 AM »
How do I find out what the spindle can do? Do you mean it may be limited somehow. I am used to powered routers . They usually go around 22000. Rpm. Shouldn't a spindle be able to do the same.?? Slower speeds are usually too slow for woodworking.  Regards...Ron.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
I do not know what your spindle is meant to do but if you are getting that warning then quite likely you are just commanding a spindle speed more than the 24000 rpm set in spindle pulleys.
Hood