Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 07:08:30 AM

Author Topic: Mach > Automation Direct PLC > Gecko  (Read 4166 times)

Mach > Automation Direct PLC > Gecko
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:12:19 AM »
Can I control my Gecko 201 drives with an automation direct (Koyo) DL05 or DL06 PLC?

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Mach > Automation Direct PLC > Gecko
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2007, 02:18:59 PM »
Yes you can,

You have two options, if you use the native counter outputs (see pulse output settings), the output is maxed at 6k I think.

Option two is you can buy a HCTRIO (high speed counter module). This will output and input pulse streams at much higher rates.

Currently, I run an Independant ATC function from the PLC, so it dosesnt tie up any of machs movement axis.

Scott
fun times

Offline zarzul

•  232 232
  • Wyoming, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 01:43:43 PM »
I didn't think you could control your axis pulse stream through modbus,  this is a serial interface that has a limited throughput time. 

I thought mach would only control the axis pulse stream through the parallel port , ncpod, galil, or grex.

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
Your question was: "Can I control my Gecko 201 drives with an automation direct (Koyo) DL05 or DL06 PLC?" The answer to that question is yes.

Now if you want to control a stepper through a PLC that is controlled by Mach thourgh the mod-bus that is a different question.

You can't practically send a Machining axis through the mod bus. BUT, you can send movements for positional steppers/servos through the mod bus to the plc for positioning things like ATC's, bar pullers, spindle speed or other moter controls.

Scott
fun times