Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:56:53 PM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems  (Read 22858 times)

Re: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 10:44:43 PM »
Gene8522 wouldn't be the first person to get stuck with Chinese junk. I consider any vendor warranty on Ebay as empty promises especially from China... buy at your own risk.

However... I don't think defective equipment has anything to do with his problem. It's highly unusual to have two motors and/or drives from two different vendors fail exactly the same way. Not to bash Gene8522 but this problem sounds more like a improper drive setup or wiring issue.

I found my drive set for factory defaulted values and must be configured for the drive input voltage, motor FLA, max rpm's and frequency, etc. A misconfigured drive can quickly short a motor winding. The manual that comes with the drive leaves allot to be desired for specifics.... unless you have a background in VFD's or the drive is sent with setup instructions its very easy to skip parameters.

Gene8522 didn't say if its a 2.2kw or 1.5kw. I have a Ebay 2.2kw water cooled motor and Huanyang drive with 450+ hours on the clock. Unless its running at high amps the motor just gets warm even without the cooling pump.

The 2.2kw drive can output 11 amps @ 400hz BUT the 2.2kw motor is rated for 8.5 FLA @ 400hz. The drive has to be set to current limit at 8.5 amps. The factory default is 11  amps. The 1.5kw motors is rated at 8 amps FLA and a 1.5kw drive will only output 7 amps so there is very little chance of an over current situation.
My spindles were both 2.2KW water cooled. The first one had run sense January with out any problems before it gave up the ghost and died. The second vfd & spindle I was only able to run for about 5 seconds on a test run. I hooked up the spindle without hooking the PC to the vfd just to test the vfd/spindle running it manually . I did a PD013 to reset the factory settings, then went went through the PD001 to PD006 & PD141 to PD144. I used the manual start to start the spindle, and when the RPMs went up to about 13-14K I stopped the spindle. When I looked around there was smoke coming the spindle as the spindle was slowing down. WOW what happen. The vfd was showing "dL". Man not again!! I started checking all of the PD code# setting looking for a problem. geh7552 is right when I looked at the amp. output again at PD142 it was set at 11 amps. Then I seemed to recall the first spindle was set at 8.5 amps. But it was too late the spindle would start but only run for one or two seconds then shut down on "dL" read out. I'm sure that the "Factory" setting for the vfd bit me in the a** and fried a phase in the spindle. When I tried the test run it was late and I was already frustrated with the other vfd/spindle that I over looked the amp setting @ PD142 and did not change them. Hard way to learn, being an "Amateur"   >:( :-\
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 10:49:01 PM by gene8522 »
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:31 AM »
Gene8522,

I do not have a problem with using SJO 16/4.  The important thing is to USE all 4 conductors and send the green wire back to the bonded ground in the power  distribution box.  It should absorb most of the RF generated by the 3-phase.  Air separation between control wiring and the VFD wiring is important as well.  DO NOT run them in the same cable chase as convenient as it may be.  I got my 16/4 at Bay Electric in League City.  You will not find it at your local home center.  So many people use 3-conductor wiring and that is what causes problems.  The green wire is important otherwise there would not be a 4th terminal on the spindle.  

I live in Santa Fe.  If you are close enough I may be able to put some fingerprints on your machine and try to solve your problems.

Bob
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
The VFD output carrier frequency (PD041) is factory set for 7KHZ which turned the motor leads into a radio transmitter that can cause flaky problems with stepper electronics. The Some people have issues some don't. I don't recommend using unshielded motor leads. SJO 16/4 is not shielded. Use VFD 4 conductor shielded cable... ground the motor and drive with the green lead and the shielding at the drive only.

Make sure PD003 through PD 005 are set for 400 (hz)
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 07:31:34 PM »
Gene8522,

The green wire is important otherwise there would not be a 4th terminal on the spindle. 

Bob

When I got my spindle motor the 4 terminals were not labeled. I took an ohm meter and determined which 3 were the motor windings. In the process I discovered the 4th pin (assumed to be the motor ground) was not grounded.

I opened up the motor quick disconnect plug and sure enough... nothing connected to it. I soldered a wire onto the connector solder cup and grounded it to the motor case so now the motor has a dedicated ground conductor.  So even using 4 conductor motor cable the ground would have done nothing.

The Chinese must assume the CNC frame is going to be the motor ground which is poor ground practices.  All of you that use spindle motors should check the 4th pin... I would be willing to bet it's ungrounded. 
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 01:51:30 AM »
The green wire absorbs the RF from the 3-phase.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 09:34:34 AM »
The green wire absorbs the RF from the 3-phase.

I can tell you don't have an electrical background. Better read your NEC code book on proper motor ground. This is absolutely incorrect it doesn't absorb RF... maybe some but its not significant to be of any use. That's what the cable outer jacketing shielding is for. The 4th conductor on a 3 phase motor is intended as a motor ground wire.

Using the cnc frame as a VFD motor ground is poor practice that can cause issues with low voltage electronics due to circulating currents.

Do a Google search on VFD, shielded cables, proper grounding and RF noise.
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 09:48:01 AM »
Gene... sent you a PM.
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 11:51:06 AM »
UPDATE:
This is a long story, so I will try and give the Reader Digest version.

I have finally been able to get these warranty problems taken care of. I contacted "world-etrade" and told them about the problems with the spindle. It took some doing but they reluctantly sent a replacement spindle.
Now "eling-export" was a whole other nut to crack. I lost count of the communications back and forth (40+). At first "eling-export" was very reluctant to give any warranty coverage, but after I got in touch with PayPal about opening a case "eling-export" changed their attitude real fast and wanted to know if I would drop the PayPal case and change my 'feedback' at Ebay. They sent me an address in California to return the VFD/spindle, but I had to pay the shipping ($28.00). All of this sense about 8/25/2012. I returned the VFD/spindle but did not hear back from "eling-export". My tracking # showed that they had received the VFD/Spindle. After contacting "eling-export" again and threatening to reopen the case with PayPal. They ask me not to do that and that they would refund my money to PayPal and send the money for the shipping. After three days of not hearing anything this morning I received an email from PayPal that the $311.00 has been returned to my account and that $28.00 (shipping cost) has been sent to my PayPal account. I will admit that I had just about given up hope of getting my money back. Just shows that you have to be persistent and stand your ground. This morning I did change my 'feedback' in Ebay about eling-export.
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 09:06:35 PM »
So what did you change it to?  Great people to work with!  or You can get service from them if you put your knee in their back and twist their arm!  They were difficult, difficult vendors should get poor feedback every time, no exceptions. Otherwise the system intended to protect you doesn't work.
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 09:52:28 PM »
Changed my 'feedback' to positive with "It took a while, but eling did stand behind their warrant. With a full refund+SH" remark. I sent an email to eling-export and told them The best I can say is "It has been interesting doing business with eling-export".