Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:07:00 PM

Author Topic: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems  (Read 22856 times)

Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems
« on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »
On my DIY CNC I installed a Chinese Huanyang VFD & Spindle that I bought on ebay back in late December. I also have the plug-in that controls the VFD with Mach3. I will say that everything was working well. I really enjoyed the low noise from the water cooled spindle.
Now here is the problem. Two almost three weeks ago the spindle stopped working and the vfd display showed "dL", which indicates a current leak somewhere in the spindle motor. I bought the vfd & spindle from "world-etrade" on ebay. I looked back at their ebay listing and saw that there is a two year warranty. No problem, right. No, you would be wrong. I contacted "world-etrade" and ask about getting a new spindle covered under their warranty. After several responses on ebay back and forth they have not replaced the spindle and will no longer correspond with me about a replacement spindle.
I had no chose but to get another spindle. I found that I could get the vfd & spindle for not much more than just the spindle alone. So I ordered a new vfd & spindle motor from "eling-export" and had it within a few days. I was back up and running. Not so fast................ I hooked up the vfd & spindle in manual control to test everything out. The spindle started coming up to speed when smoke started coming out it. The vfd shut down with the "dL" showing on the display. I contacted "eling-export" about replacing the faulty spindle motor under their three year warranty. After answering a lot of stupid questions and sending them photos of the wiring from the vfd to the spindle. And explaining to them that my power supply to the vfd is 220 volt, single phase, not 220V, 2 phase or 3 phase we are at a dead end. As of now they have not send me an RMA# nor an address to where I can send the spindle for replacement or refund. This is what their ebay listing says: “satisfaction guaranteed,return accepted without asking for a reason, fully refund or exchange will be give upon our receiving the returned item.item must be returned in mint state with original packing,please notify us and with our confirmation before you want to return anything.”
I have contacted ebay customer support with my problem with “eling-export”. They say that they can help with “eling-export” and get my cost and shipping returned, but that there may not be anything they can do about “world-etrade” since it has been over six months.
Right now I’m not sure what to do, but to warn ever one about these cheap Chinese spindles. And I guess I’ll have to bite the bullet ($$$$) and get better quality VFD & spindle.

Beware and watch out these sites  >:( >:(
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221254712652&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330686649633&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
Re: Huanyang VFD & Spindle Warranty Problems
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 09:29:04 AM »
Not trying to defend chinese products but you have two drives and motors that failed the same way. I have the same setup... 2.2kw water cooled and VFD and mine runs fine. I have a load reactor on the 3 phase output to the motor for impedance matching and to prevent voltage spiking due to motor cable capacitance. Spiking can break down the motor winding insulation and short out. I use shielded VFD drive cable and properly ground the shield and motor.... again using regular wire like SJO (extension cord cable) can result in motor winding damage. The drive has to setup to match the motor operating parameters or it can damage both motor and drive fairly quickly. Chinese products are low quality especially the VFD's... but having two fail the same way is suspicious.
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 04:20:15 AM »
I suspect that you are doing something wrong.  2 in a row is unusual.  Got my spindle from www.buildyourcnc.com in Katy, TX.  Good folks and stand behind product.  I am using 16/4 SJO for cable between VFD and spindle.  You need at least #18 wire but I always up one gauge when the wire is constantly in motion.
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:41:09 AM »
Here is an up date on the spindle motors problem. "world-etrade" The ebay company that I bought my first vfd & spindle from has agreed to replace the spindle if I would return the defective spindle to them. The good news is I only have to ship the spindle to their warehouse in California ( $23.83 from Texas ), tracking shows that the spindle should be in California Monday. Now lets see if "world-etrade" sends me a replacement spindle. Please let everyone know that "world-etrade" on ebay appears to be good on  their warranty, it just takes a while for them to do anything.
Now there is the matter of dealing with "eling-export" on ebay. After 24 corespondents with "eling-exports" via ebay and answering every stupid question in the book. They even ask if the input power supply to the vfd is "2 phase or 3 phase". I told them I am using 220 volt 'single' phase and that I had never seen "2 phase" used in this country. Way before my time. They even ask for a YouTube video of the vfd & Spindle in action. I don't have a video camera, but I did send about 10 photos.  So with my frustration running off the high end of the scale. I contacted PayPal 'Resolution Center'. PayPal opened a case against "eling-export" and said they will return the money for the vfd/spindle to my account, but I have only 10 days to return the spindle to "eling-export" in Guangzhou Guangdong Province, China. I am going to ask PayPal if I should have to pay the return shipping to China, after all I was sent a defective vdf/spindle.  The problem is when I tried to print out a UPS shipping label it says that the 'post code' is incorrect.  
I'll post an update to this as I know more.  
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 09:53:30 AM »
I suspect that you are doing something wrong.  2 in a row is unusual.  Got my spindle from www.buildyourcnc.com in Katy, TX.  Good folks and stand behind product.  I am using 16/4 SJO for cable between VFD and spindle.  You need at least #18 wire but I always up one gauge when the wire is constantly in motion.
You are quite right about Daniel Hood over @ 'buildyourcnc'. My diy cnc is a copy of the "Blacktoe" and I bought all if the electronics and some of the parts from Daniel.
Right now I'm using #18 shielded wire, is the 16/4 SJO shielded? If so where did you find it?
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 10:46:01 AM »
You should use at least #14 shielded and only ground the shield at the VFD.  SJO is not designed for VFD use... Soigenneris sells shielded VFD cable its not cheap but nether is replacing two drives and motors.  VFD's create allot of RF noise especially the chinese knock-off's. They lack the internal RF filtering found in more expensive VFD's. Without the proper cable the t-leads become radio transmitters. Cable capacitance in VFD outputs is another problem... it can cause reflected power, more so on motor deaccel back to the drive and destroy the output section of the drive.

Offline kcib

•  74 74
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2013, 07:23:55 PM »
Sorry that you have had problems with two of these spindles, I have two of these Chinese spindle motors and VFD's one 2.2Kw water cooled motor which has done some 500 hours now without one problem and a 4Kw air cooled motor which has around 250 hours again no problems they are very quiet which is why I bought them and at a good price off of Ebay and I know of others who have these motors and have not had any problems so I think that you have been very unlucky with your purchases, do hope that you manage to get your money or replacements sorted out.
Alan
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 08:51:12 PM »
Gene8522 wouldn't be the first person to get stuck with Chinese junk. I consider any vendor warranty on Ebay as empty promises especially from China... buy at your own risk.

However... I don't think defective equipment has anything to do with his problem. It's highly unusual to have two motors and/or drives from two different vendors fail exactly the same way. Not to bash Gene8522 but this problem sounds more like a improper drive setup or wiring issue.

I found my drive set for factory defaulted values and must be configured for the drive input voltage, motor FLA, max rpm's and frequency, etc. A misconfigured drive can quickly short a motor winding. The manual that comes with the drive leaves allot to be desired for specifics.... unless you have a background in VFD's or the drive is sent with setup instructions its very easy to skip parameters.

Gene8522 didn't say if its a 2.2kw or 1.5kw. I have a Ebay 2.2kw water cooled motor and Huanyang drive with 450+ hours on the clock. Unless its running at high amps the motor just gets warm even without the cooling pump.

The 2.2kw drive can output 11 amps @ 400hz BUT the 2.2kw motor is rated for 8.5 FLA @ 400hz. The drive has to be set to current limit at 8.5 amps. The factory default is 11  amps. The 1.5kw motors is rated at 8 amps FLA and a 1.5kw drive will only output 7 amps so there is very little chance of an over current situation.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:02:06 PM »
YEP IF the VFD parameters are NOT correct for the motor you CAN blow the final drive out of the drive and burn out the motor. Also the regenerative voltages can bite you in the behind if NOT set correctly.

Very easy to let the magic smoke out with VFDs if not set correctly.

(;-) TP
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
These drives are low end quality at best. A Siemens 440 or Toshiba G9, 2.2kw VFD sells for 3x the price... there is a reason for that.

My Huanyang drive was sent with setup instruction written is bad engilsh from the vendor. The instructions were wrong. If I had followed them I would have destroyed the drive and possibly the motor too. I suspect this maybe Gene8522's problem. I wrote to the vendor stating the setup instructions were wrong... never heard for them. 

The Huanyang manual wasn't much better but was able to determine the correct parameter settings only because I work on VFD and DC drives as a profession.