Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:48:28 PM

Author Topic: 3D digital probing  (Read 14689 times)

3D digital probing
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:19:05 PM »
What is the best option for 3D digital probing? I have my new probe but can not get the original 3D probing plugin to work with the new version of Mach3. It makes a couple of moves and I get an error message "Previous SEQ Not Yet Complete"
I have also trying using the Big-Tex screen and it moves a little and stops. I have the probe set up right and the diagnostic screen says it works when tripped, I am stumped. Is there a better plugin?

Fred
"Gravity, its not just a good idea its the law"

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: 3D digital probing
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 09:21:21 PM »
Afaik, that plugin no longer works, and there isn't another one. I think your only option at this time is the 3D probing wizard.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 10:43:10 PM »
(;-) I have been working on and testing a NEW 3d Probing routine that runs as a SUB routine in Gcode. Running in Gcode it is stone cold dependable and will probe as fast as you dare pushing your machine (;-). I have been probing at 100 ipm which in real world speed is actually an average of about 53 IPM taking into account the small moves. AND that used to be scary fast for Mach3 probing.

Hope to have it finished up soon. I have been beating up on it all day testing, So far SO good.

You also may want to check with Stirling on his new 3d routine.

His routine is the CAT"S MEOW , Mine is the RNPS routine (Red Neck Probing System)

(;-) TP

« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 10:46:00 PM by BR549 »
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 11:00:05 AM »
(;-) I have been working on and testing a NEW 3d Probing routine that runs as a SUB routine in Gcode. Running in Gcode it is stone cold dependable and will probe as fast as you dare pushing your machine (;-). I have been probing at 100 ipm which in real world speed is actually an average of about 53 IPM taking into account the small moves. AND that used to be scary fast for Mach3 probing.

Hope to have it finished up soon. I have been beating up on it all day testing, So far SO good.

You also may want to check with Stirling on his new 3d routine.

His routine is the CAT"S MEOW , Mine is the RNPS routine (Red Neck Probing System)

(;-) TP

Thanks TP, Can't wait to try yours. I looked for Sterlings but it looks like he pulled it from his web site. I can not believe there is not a good probing routine for Mach. Do you know of a stand alone program maybe? I know there are lots of people probing what do they use?
I have searched the web but no luck.

Thanks
Fred

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 10:00:29 PM »
Stirling has been working on a NEW version of his contour and surface scanning.

The ONLY surface scanner is the wizard in mach3 and it is the standard bed of nails approach. Not fast but dependable.

Stirlings does both the outside contour and the surface.

For 2d work I have a set of probing arrays inside and outside. They will scann the contour of an object and are tuneable . The new 3d probeing is a creepy crawling hill climbing critter. That crawls across the top of the surface and records point. It can even climb a vertical surface while gathering points.

There are glitches in mach3 that prevent the easy ways to do this so there is not much out there working as far as 3d probing routines.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »
Stirling has been working on a NEW version of his contour and surface scanning.

The ONLY surface scanner is the wizard in mach3 and it is the standard bed of nails approach. Not fast but dependable.

I cannot even get this to work?

Stirlings does both the outside contour and the surface.

For 2d work I have a set of probing arrays inside and outside. They will scann the contour of an object and are tuneable . The new 3d probeing is a creepy crawling hill climbing critter. That crawls across the top of the surface and records point. It can even climb a vertical surface while gathering points.

There are glitches in mach3 that prevent the easy ways to do this so there is not much out there working as far as 3d probing routines.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:18 PM »
NOW I am NOT talking about the Plugin 3d scanner I am referring to the  Wizard 3d scanner.

(;-) TP

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 08:29:55 PM »
You need to tell us exactly what you're doing, and exactly what the problem is.
"I cannot even get this to work" is difficult to troubleshoot.
Gerry

2010 Screenset

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 09:24:55 AM »
You need to tell us exactly what you're doing, and exactly what the problem is.
"I cannot even get this to work" is difficult to troubleshoot.

Sorry, In the diagnostic screen, when the probe is triggered the led lights up so I know the probe is working but when I try the probing wizard it moves a few steps and then stops working.

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 09:50:42 AM »
Are you seeing any message in the status bar?
Can you post the g-code that the wizard generated?
Gerry

2010 Screenset