Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:14:54 PM

Author Topic: Mach3 Issue - Does Not Appear To Communicate With Controller... Need Help  (Read 3484 times)

I have Mach3 Ver.3.043.066 with a DC Servo CNC Controller ... I have installed and tried Mach3 on Windows 7 (32-bit) and Windows XP (32-bit) with multiple parallel cards and it does not communicate with the controller (pressing the limit switch manually does not appear in Mach3) ... Mach3 also continually flashes Emergency Mode with a message External E-Stop Requested (kinda tells me something is not right...) ... I have changed and/or made sure the port address is correct in port and pins ... The DriverTest.exe runs and completes without a problem ... I am stuck and COULD REALLY USE SOME HELP AND GUIDEANCE before going and buying a Motion Control Card (like Smoothstepper) with the hopes of that getting this controller to work...

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Attach your xml please and I will see if there is a problem with your config.
Hood
Here is our XML ... Just to note I change the port address accordingly when using different PCI parallel cards...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Dont see much wrong with the xml although you seem to have the same keys assigned for X and Y jogging, best to set them correctly. That is done from Config menu then System HotKeys.

You say the Reset is always flashing, do you have an E-Stop switch fitted to the machine? If not then change the active state of the E-Stop in Ports and Pins, Inputs. That will trick Mach into thinking you do have an E-Stop and that it is OK.
Hood
Okay so turns out after banging my head on this for a couple days I decided to finally test the cable ... Come to find out the cable I was given was not a straight through cable >:( ... Once I determined this and replaced it with a straight through db25 cable I was able to toggle the spindle, move the y axis, and move the z axis... It still would not move the x axis when I clicked the return to home button, but hopefully that's something simple ...

Lesson learned = never assume you are given the correct hardware/cabling...

Thanks for the help Hood!!
Sorry hope im not hijaking but I was told mach cant control servo this is wrong I assume ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Sorry hope im not hijaking but I was told mach cant control servo this is wrong I assume ?

News to me, I have Servos on all my machines ;)
Depends on what type of servo drives you have as to whether you can control via the parallel port (not the best for servos in my opinion) or have to use an external controller.
For example if your drives accept step/dir input then you can use the parallel port or any other external controller that outputs step/dir signals.
If your drives only accept analogue +/- 10v then you will need one of the external controllers capable of outputting analogue control voltage.

Hood