Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 06:39:25 AM

Author Topic: motor jogs wrong way  (Read 4258 times)

motor jogs wrong way
« on: August 25, 2013, 03:24:11 PM »
I'm new to Mach 3 but when I push the right arrow most of the time my machine runs left but quite frequently it moves right. This also happens on the jog screen. This problem only seems to be on the x axis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: motor jogs wrong way
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2013, 03:55:07 PM »
It could be a loose connection on your Dir pin, if not attach your xml and I will see if there is a config issue.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 03:58:39 PM »
If it goes both ways and you never know what way it's going I would check the wiring to see if something is making bad contact. It should go the same way every time. Make sure your cable is good also if you are using a parallel cable to a breakout board.
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »
I found a loose wire on the stepper motor driver and that seems to have fixed the problem.  I'm attaching my XML file in case you can see any other conflicts I might have. Thank you for your quick response
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 04:59:47 PM »
I'm still new to most of this, my apologies. I believe I attached the XML file, if not I'll gladly email it to you.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 06:33:52 PM »
You will have to copy your xml to your desktop then rename to something unique such as twodmacks.xml before you can attach to the forum as it will only accept an attachment name once.
You use the additional options button on the reply page t browse and attach the file.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2013, 07:02:41 PM »
Here it is...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2013, 03:48:23 AM »
Ok xml looks relatively good and its likely your wiring was the culprit. There are however a few things that need looked at. You have the X limits set to port and pin numbers that are outputs and Y and Z limits are set to pin 0. If you dont have limit switches on the machine then just disable the limit inputs in Ports and Pins. Inputs page. If you do have limits then you will need  to tell Mach the correct port and pin numbers they are using.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2013, 11:34:13 AM »
As I said before I am very new to the cnc process. I have just completed building my own machine and that part was pretty easy. The wiring went OK but I still haven't figured out where the limit switches are going to connect. I had a real struggle during the Mach 3 tutorials trying to figure out the pins, ports and switches. I am pretty happy now that the x,y, and z axis are moving. I did notice that since I fixed the loose wire the the left arrow key now makes the machine move to the left. Originally the left arrow made the machine move right. Also the pg up key makes the z axis move down. I'm a little confused by that. I would like to thank you again for your help.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2013, 01:12:25 PM »
Sounds like you  may have your Z Axis going the wrong way. The DROs in Mach should go negative for Pg Dn and Positive for PgUp. If that is correct but the actual axis is opposite then you need to reverse the Dir pins active state from Config menu then Motor Outputs.
Hood