Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:42:38 AM

Author Topic: Can a Brain disable a rough spindle start  (Read 3982 times)

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
Can a Brain disable a rough spindle start
« on: August 20, 2013, 03:19:07 PM »
Hello Moderators,
I have an issue with my spindle starting to spin when Mach is closed. I had this problem reported in a previous post, but nobody came up with a solution for it. I was looking at a video on brains. Something is triggering the spindle rely when I close mach, and when I reopen Mach the spindle stops. Is it possible for one of you Gents to make a short brain to stop mach doing that? I have the ESS plugged into CNC4PC's C25 BOB. This BOB has nothing on it just terminals. I wonder, should I buy a better BOB, and spindle control board?
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Can a Brain disable a rough spindle start
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:24 PM »
The problem is not Mach, if the spindle is starting when you close Mach then it is a problem with either your VFD or your spindle control board.
You used a physical switch, as a test, if I recall and that cured your issue which more or less says the issue is with the spindle control board.
 The documentation on the spindle control board seems to suggest that it should not act in that manner and thus it was suggested by myself that it was either a faulty board or that the board itself does not work in the manner  the documentation says it does.

A Brain can not do anything for you, a Brain can only work when Mach is active and your problem happens when Mach is shut down.

Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 04:28:12 PM »
Thanks Hood,
Your answer just underlines the inevitable. I have to get a different spindle control board. I have been looking, don't want another CNC4Pc one.
This morning I reloaded Mach, and re configured it. Just on a whim I closed mach and the spindle didn't start up. Tried it several times, couldn't get the spindle to run. I said great. Than I went to look at the ESS's diag page, changed something, it asked me to close Mach for the change to take effect,and you know what? The damn spindle started up again. I sent this problem over to Greg at Warp9, and frankly I don't accept an answer back. Both he and Arturo just said in the past: not our board.
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 04:35:38 PM »
I cant see how it can be a ESS issue as when Mach exits it shuts off as well and will not send any commands.

What did you change on ESS page? Was the spindle actually working with Mach open before you made these changes in ESS?

Hood

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 04:56:32 PM »
Hood,
I did a new install of the ESS plug in, and the default spindle setting was set to relay or none. I changed that to PWM and base Hz 200 as Arturo said in the past. The spindle was working with just mach being in control. I could MDI a speed and turn it off by giving M5 command. I'll check that again in the morning, and let you know the result.
Mike
Sorry Hood,
I miss spoke. I didn't start the spindle the last time I did the reinstall, just shut Mach down 3-4 times, to see if the spindle starts when I close Mach.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:15:42 PM by mvoros »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 06:16:34 PM »
IF the Board does NOT have a charge pump control then it is WINDOWS turning the pin active when MACH3 closes and no longer has control.

OR if the spindle pin is set to active LOW under mach3 control and when mach3 shuts down all pins go back to active low under windows control then the spindle turns on.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 08:08:48 AM »
Hi TP,
You wouldn't be talking about CNC4PC's charge pump? I looked at that before, and read it's guide for wiring. It is about as clear as all the other guides I read on this site. Not written for lay people.
Mike

Offline mvoros

•  141 141
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
Hi TP and Hood,
After a clean reinstall of Mach, and a new plug in from Greg at Warp9 the router again sort of works. For now the spindle doesn't start when I close Mach. The problem is half solved, I guess. Thank you both for helping. I'm starting a new thread for the MDI problem
Mike