Hello Guest it is April 21, 2021, 10:18:03 AM

Author Topic: got 75% through a project and then the router went haywire! I need help ASAP!  (Read 3381 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Today it started to vibrate, shake and wouldn't move in any direction, and before that the roughing pass started to repeat what it had already done and then started to move off of the board etc.
just crazy stuff that it had never done ever before.  I noticed that the X and Z location settings were accurate on the screen, but the Y axis reading of it's location on the table was not correct.


I had an Art code error late last week that prevented any of the motors from moving due to a communication problem with the profile file in the Mach3 software.  I got that fixed last night
with the person who sold me the machine.  While we were in the process of correcting the issue, he had me go into the config file related to the motor settings (steps, velocity and acceleration).

he set the X,Y and Z all to the same settings:  4000 steps, 100.02 velocity and 20 acceleration

Are these the correct settings for my machine? or should they be set differently given the following specs of my machine:


CNC Router Table Specs
- X travel 36 inches
- Y (gantry) travel 24 inches
- Z (vertical) travel 5.5 inches (minus spoil board thickness)
- Rack and pinion for X
- 5 start ACME drive for Y
- 5 start ACME drive for Z
- Repeatability to +/-0.002" or better, accuracy to +/-0.005" or better
- 355oz High Torque Nema 23 stepper motors: Rapids up to 600 IPM+, cutting feed-rates 200 IPM+
- Accuracy of +/-0.005"
- Controller Gecko G540 3 axis stepper motor driver
I should mention that after it seemed locked up and was vibrating back and forth, I am able to move the router in all 3 directions like always with the keyboard, but when I go to run a roughing program
it doesn't follow the correct G-code instructions.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

*
  • *
  •  8,696 8,696
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
If you post your .xml file it would make it easier to diagnose the problem  :)

Tweakie.
KEEP SAFE !
Do you mean this?

G540 Nema 23 2012-08-03

Offline Tweakie.CNC

*
  • *
  •  8,696 8,696
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
Not quite the right thing.  :)

Open Mach3 and get the profile name you are using (bottom right).
Open the Mach3 folder and search for an .xml file with that profile name (*********xx.xml).
Copy it.
Rename the copy to tigerpaw.xml.
In the forum - select Reply.
Use Additional Options to attach 'tigerpaw.xml' to your post.

Tweakie.
KEEP SAFE !
that's the thing, it doesn't end in .xml...the profile does not have a . anything,  and all of the backups end in .xb63, .xb64 etc.?

the profile is G540 Nema 23 2012-08-03

Offline Tweakie.CNC

*
  • *
  •  8,696 8,696
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
    • Tweakie.CNC
OK, try this...

Open the Mach3 folder, in the menu bar at the top of the page select Tools / Folder Options / View - then uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'. That should make your .xml file identifiable.

Tweakie.
KEEP SAFE !
I was having the same problem except on the X axis.... Traced the problem to a broken solder conection on the "B-" output pin in the D- connector plug cable for the Gecko 540. It would intermittently lose contact. The motor would act like it was being driven in fwd and rev at the same time. I bought a set of Soigeneris connectors with the built in adj resistor and it has been ok ever since.