Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:36:50 PM

Author Topic: New Mach3 user  (Read 2500 times)

New Mach3 user
« on: August 05, 2013, 02:19:25 PM »
Hi:

I am a old school cabinet maker and new to CNC. I bought a entry level cnc router to start.

I have been using Image to Gcode and no matter what size I set the image to be it only machines to about an inch square.

Any help would be great,

Pete
Re: New Mach3 user
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 01:29:41 AM »
Hi Pete have you set the axis steps by using the set steps per unit on the setting page of Mach, its in the bottom left hand corner just above the RESET tab, secondly are you designing in inches and have Mach set in mm. Finally the "image to gcode" software has a setting page for dimensions. There is a you tube video showing the setting page http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81Lz9RS1s4U unfortunately no sound to it but takes you through the process. Jim
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 09:13:53 AM »
Thanks for the help.

I have not set the steps yet for I don't know how to. Part of the learning curve.

Can you give me info on doing this.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:20:50 AM by xpdingo »
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 09:39:06 AM »
Hi Pete if you know the ball screw pitch and the motor information you can work it out mathematically. But the easy way is to use the setting page and then the set steps option. (Setting page just above the RESET tab). I used a digital vernier with the fixed anvil clamped to the table then set the cutter against the moving anvil it then moves the vernier. Mach will ask you the axis you want to set then distance you want to travel say 10mm it then moves 10mm to what it is presently set too, you take the reading off the vernier say its 7.656mm type that in the box on the page. Mach will then work out the number of steps to achieve the 10mm move and put the correct steps into its memory. Two thing to bear in mind 1. the direction + or - as you don't want to smash your vernier and 2. What your machine is in MM or Inches, in the UK I use mm. You don't have to use a vernier a small cut into the wood will do but you still need to measure the length its cut (don't forget to take off the cutter diameter if it a slot you have cut. Jim