Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:41:12 PM

Author Topic: Looking for source code or free program to generate a Gcode Toolpath  (Read 5089 times)

Any open source programs available to parse Gcode or plot a toolpath?  My Gcode programs is complicated with parameters and lots of subroutine files.  I want to see what it does without loading into the Mach3.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for source code or free program to generate a Gcode Toolpath
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
The only true way to see IF it will run and what it looks like would be to load it up in MACH3.

Any 3rd party tool path software would have to know exactly how MAch3 handles such things.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2013, 08:12:21 AM »
OK..   So what I've done might be useful and have some value.  I have been working on a Mach3 macro that does pre-processing or post-processing of a Gcode file that is loaded in Mach3.  I use it for gang tooling in Mach3 Mill.
1. A Gcode tool finder program locates the tools and my post-processor generates a Gcode subroutine file containing the tool positions.
2. Then my pre-processor transforms a parametric Gcode program into a flattened Gcode program of machining operations for the gang tooling setup.
3.  The advantages are that I can now feed hold the machining operation for the gang tooling setup.  And if the tool positions change I can quickly run the tool finder program and update the Gcode that does the machining operations.

Do you know if the Gcode function for ArcTan is standard or Mach3-specific?  It is a very crazy Gcode parser.
i.e.  
#varnum = ATAN[lexpr]/[rexpr]

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
No offense but is looks like a complicated way to avoid learning Gcode and fixture offsetting.

Just a thought, (;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:31 AM »
I noticed those fixture offsets before, but didn't know the purpose.  Now I'm guessing that the appropriate use of fixture offsets would make my Gcode programs less parametric and improve readability? 

However it probably won't fix the Mach3 inability to feed hold inside of a subroutine.  If I can't feed hold a machining operation, then it must be restarted and the day gets longer.  My Gcode parser flattens out both local and file subroutines so the Mach3 feed hold can be used.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2013, 08:45:43 PM »
I just checked and Feedhold works fine in a SUB routine HERE. 

Just a thought, (;-) TP