Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:19:50 PM

Author Topic: Really basic spindle control question  (Read 8802 times)

Re: Really basic spindle control question
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 04:52:00 PM »
Thanks Hood - I've built the index pulse h/w and it's ready to install.  I knew this was a must, but it kept slipping down the priorities list. 

Can you give me some pointers as to implementing a macropump for this purpose?  I've searched the forums and now have a general idea of what a macropump is and how it works. 

Most grateful for your help!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2013, 05:28:23 PM »
I had a macropump at one point that would compare commanded spindle speed and true spindle speed and if they were different by a user set % it would call an E-Stop. I was unable to use it as for some reason it didnt play with Modbus enabled and I needed modbus for my turret on the lathe.
Anyway that may or may not be what you are wanting, I would have to read again to see what exactly you are after but maybe it would be easier if you just say again as I think things have changed a bit since your initial post.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 06:43:45 AM »
Yes Hood, this discussion has clarified the issue for me. 

The problem for me is that if gcode is executing where an M3 has started the spindle, and then I pause gcode execution, the spindle doesn't restart when I click CycleStart.  Since an M5 has not been executed, I want the spindle to restart on a CycleStart.

If I manually move the X or Y axis during the pause, the PreparatoryMove dialog is invoked giving an option to restart the spindle.  I really like this.  But not if I  move only the Z axis. 

So the best solution is a macro/whatever to invoke the PreparatoryMove dialog if the Z axis moves, just as it does for X or Y.  Alternatively. a macro/whatever to restart the spindle when CycleStart is clicked to terminate a pause/FeedHold.

Is either possible?  I'll be away with family for the next 7 days, so no hurry for a reply, but I'd sure appreciate your thoughts in due course.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
Ok I think you have to be very careful having the spindle start automatically from a button such as Start.
 The safest method would just be to make the cycle Start button a VB button and for it to pop up a message box on screen telling you to start the spindle if its not already running. You would have to press OK to acknowledge you had seen the message before it would start running the code.
 Would something like that suit you?

Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2013, 08:34:56 AM »
The problem for me is that if gcode is executing where an M3 has started the spindle, and then I pause gcode execution, the spindle doesn't restart when I click CycleStart.

Your spindle shouldn't be stopping when pressing feedhold. What exactly are you doing to get it to stop? Feedhold by itself doesn't stop the spindle.
If you're using Stop after Feedhold, then you should be using Run From Here, which as I mentioned before, will give you the option to Start the spindle.

I agree with Hood, that having a macro start the spindle can be very dangerous, as you may see the spindle start when you don't expect it to.
I ran into this issue while working on my auto zero during tool change macros. I realized that the only truly safe method was for the g-code to start the spindle.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:43 PM »
Many many thanks, guys.   I said I'd be away, didn't know I'd be on another planet with no 'net.....

Gerry, yes I hit Feedhold to stop axis movement as Mstcnc recommended, then lift the Z-axis to ease tool heating, then hit Stop.  Hood, yes I'd like to know how to organise that macro regardless.  I've been a VB/VBA programmer for many years, and would like to see how VB talks to Mech3.

If RunFromHere has a spindle start dialog in the purchased version, then my problem is solved right there.  The demo RunFromHere works, just no dialog. 

Seems an odd function to cripple out in a demo version.  Is there a list of demo/purchased differences somewhere?

Again, many thanks everyone.  I'll purchase this week.

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
Oops.....I should have asked, Gerry/anyone - can you confirm that there is definitely a SpindleStart dialog on RunFromHere if only the Z-axis is moved?

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:08 PM »
As far as I know, Run From Here does not work in the Demo version. If you're not seeing the dialog box for a Preparation Move, then Run From Here is probably not working for you. If I remove my license file, Run From Here will not work for me.
When you click Run From Here, Mach3 reads the g-code from the beginning up to the current line. It then asks you to click Cycle Start. Upon clicking Cycle Start, the Preparation Move dialog box will open.

In Mach3, your either in the middle of running g-code, or your not. It doesn't matter what you've done prior to using Run From Here, you always get the Dialog box to do a preparation move, which includes the option to Start the Spindle.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html