Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:43:09 AM

Author Topic: installing mach 3 on a dynamite 2800 mill  (Read 3737 times)

installing mach 3 on a dynamite 2800 mill
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:09:00 PM »
was wondering if anyone could clue me in on putting mach 3 into original control on a dynamite 2800 mill. my research showed that you could use the factory drives. what is involved and how much would i spend to do this?
Re: installing mach 3 on a dynamite 2800 mill
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:37:13 PM »
Well, I have a DynaMite 2800 running under Mach 3 that I converted a number of years ago. At first, I replaced the Dyna controller with the "Ahha" controller (a dos based system to run g-code). After running that for a couple of years, I tore out all the original electronics and rebuilt the thing with modern stuff (a good breakout board, gecko's and modern hybrid steppers). It is a great machine...

For what its worth, I'd suggest taking a deep breath and replacing everything except the power supply and auxiliary stuff (like the spindle brake and front control panel). I think you may have trouble with the original drives (they probably will not recognize the pulses from Mach except in "Sherline" mode).

If you decide to go this route, send me a pm and I'll be happy to send you more details of what I did with mine. (If not, I'd be glad to sell you my original Dyna boards, drives, and motors as spares - I think I have them in a box gathering dust in the shop!)

Offline kjam

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 11:51:59 PM »
 ???Just curious how big is this mill, what hp is it? Never seen one trying to look one up.
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 01:37:34 PM »
Its a benchtop mill, with ≈750 watt spindle. My opinion is that they make a wonderful Mach conversion for us hobby machinists. The BT30 quick change spindle, automatic ballscrew/way lubrication, and overall "industrial grade" construction put it a little above most similar sized machines. Mine has been rock solid, and with state of the art electronics/steppers it has been a great machine.

They are old enough that you can occasionally find one pretty cheaply, and if you are willing to work around the fact replacement parts aren't really available (so you may have to be a little creative!), they can be quite a bargain...

SF

Offline kjam

•  18 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 03:01:22 PM »
That's a nice mill I like that. I'm working on fitting a bridgeport with one of mach motions kits now.

Offline Fastest1

•  920 920
  • Houston, TX
    • View Profile
installing mach 3 on a dynamite 2800 mill
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »
They (Dyna's) are great machines with all of the bells and whistles of their time. I have a 2400 and a 3000 both are very well built, accurate, rigid and capable.
I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not like the passengers in the car! :-)