Hello Guest it is April 26, 2024, 04:06:02 PM

Author Topic: Lathe/Mill Combo Conversion  (Read 9954 times)

Lathe/Mill Combo Conversion
« on: February 20, 2007, 04:33:01 PM »
Here are some shots of my Lathe/Mill combo.  I purchased it in Canada from Busy Bee Tools (Craftex Brand) but there are some disturbingly similar ones available elsewhere ;)  (e.g. Harbor Freight etc.)

I bought this as my first machine a newbie, I realize now the mill column isn't super-stiff and it's kind of awkward having to put a riser block on the bed to get near the spindle.  It works fairly well for my hobby-grade stuff nonetheless.

(why yes, that is an A2Z toolpost, home made digitizing probe on top of the cabinet, homecnc.info servos, homeshopcnc ballscrews, etc...  ;D   8)  )
Re: Lathe/Mill Combo Conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 01:53:50 PM »
Hello Marcoose:
I have one of those Harbor Freight combo lathe/mills (P/N 44142) and I am VERY interested in converting to CNC. What CNC improvements have you done to your machine? My most pressing need is to convert the lathe portion. Mach 3 looks like the software to use and I've been researching the steppers/servos/encoders to use but I really have been searching for someone who has a machine similar to mine before taking the CNC plunge.

Bill
wlwoodall
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:12:40 PM »
Hi Bill!

I started by converting the lathe portion of my machine as well as the X & Y axis are more straightforward than the Z.  I purchased ballscrews cut-to-length and with ends already machined, and made my own preloaded ballnuts.  I went with servo drive as I like the closed loop and didn't find the price difference too significant.

I tore out pretty much every part of the original motion system and made some brackets to hold everything in.  The first phase was a pain as I had to keep re-assembling the machine so I could use it to turn bearing and ballnut mounts and then tear it apart to test-fit  :D

I just drill and tap the casting as necessary and use 1/4" mild steel plate for all the bracketry.  I think Mach3 is definitely the way to go!

Good luck!

Marcus
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 01:48:28 PM »
thats a versatile number right there, whats the bore on the spindle?
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 10:54:07 PM »
The milling spindle on my machine is MT3, although I've noticed on the latest machine they switched to R8 which seems to be much easier to find tooling for.

I just found out last year the lathe is MT4 and comes with a dead center, but I've never used anything but a chuck.

So far it has served me very well...  the lathe is excellent for my needs and the mill is fine for aluminum and plastics, and I have used it to fly-cut mild steel and stainless.  For general and 3D milling of steels it is not quite a stiff enough arrangement.  I am planning on getting a plain mill when budget allows.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 04:03:23 PM »
thats very good, you can drill / bore  2 axis alternately, mt4 aswell is a fair size for playing with. the swing on that bed aswell!. there is a need for one of each type machine  ;D