Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:32 PM

Author Topic: KNIFE SHARPENER  (Read 21165 times)

Re: KNIFE SHARPENER
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 08:38:03 AM »
Making GrandPa proud, nice job, that PITA was well worth it.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 03:56:47 PM »
Rich,
It's plain to see that Grandpop's craftsmanship skills passed down nicely.  That knife will become a treasured family heirloom I hope.

Thanks for sharing.
John Champlain

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 08:41:10 AM »
After purchasing ( finding would be a better word ) and reconditioning some 40 knifes for the relations I figured it was about time to start
my owne custom set of knifes.

Here's a pic of the 8" chefs knife. The set will all have mirror polished blades. It's all hand work to a 2000 grit finish and then the final buffing is done.
All handles will have brass Loveless bolts which were manualy made to date. Need to put the cnc lathe to use since I'll probably need 30 or more.
Presentation grade ( highly figured or burled ) matching Cocobolo will be used for the handles. No need for conditioning the wood, it machines nicely,
but, I found that I am somewhat sensitive to the wood when it's being machined and frankly never had to wear a mask when doing machine work.
I have tried a lot of finishes for the handles over time but these will be done with a clear glue as it realy stands up to abuse. Only problem is that's
it's a nasty application but the results are worth it. The knife has a 20 deg relief which is polished to 3000 grit and then stropped to razor sharpness.

Another paring knife was started using a Damascus  VG10 blade HRC 60-62 since i just wanted to have one knife with a 15 deg relief on it
and also see how it would hold up under use.

Pic of the chefs knife attached.

RICH
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 09:01:56 AM »
Nice looking knife, Beautiful workmanship Rich.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 09:22:42 AM »
Continuing on with the set here is a decorating kinfe and a paring knife with Damascus blade.

RICH
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 01:48:26 PM »
Rich,
Pretty sharp.  (Sorry, I couldn't resist the pun.  ;D )

But very nice workmanship indeed.
John Champlain

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2014, 09:45:42 AM »
Just some pic's of a knife set I am doing.
Got in the mood to do another after making a bunch of Colby Bolts on the lathe.
CNC lathe for multiple items surely saves time.

So finished the de-boning knife and got some basic work done for a trimming knife.
The nice thing about doing some custom knifes is that you can make something to suite yourself.
In the case of the trimmer it will feel just like one of my favorate pocket knifes when in use.

RICH
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2014, 11:20:15 PM »
Nice looking knives you've got going there! (And some beautiful wood to work with).

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 10:54:32 AM »
Just some pic's of a my belt grinder after restoring an old UBG-622 Hammond belt grinder.
Will use it for sharpening, scale removal, and deburring

SPECS:
- Belt Size adjustable:  1" to 2" wide x 42" to 60" long ( may add another idler to allow use of 72" belts)
- Dust collector system
- 3 Belt speeds: 1465, 2835, 5652 SFPM
- Motor: 1 1/2 HP  (reversable via switch  to allow belt travel in both directions)
- Contact wheel: 6" x 2"  ( a few others are being made 8"x2", 2"/ 3" / whatever will work )
- Weight: 250 # approx
- Footprint required: 24" x 24"

The platen was made perpendicular  to the column and belt. Scab platen added for easy surface
renewal. Additional adjustment added to belt back plate. Narrow and wide backplates.

Still need to make another platen assembly for the contact wheel. Additionaly a nice work light,
magnifier, fold down tool / work table, and additional grinding guides to be done.

For now it works great, maintains tracking very nicely, all adjustments are easy  and quick.

RICH
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 03:16:50 PM »
excellent job, that should make life easier.