Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:11:08 AM

Author Topic: Mach3 Z axis problem  (Read 11661 times)

Mach3 Z axis problem
« on: July 15, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »
I can't get Z to go down on jog. All axes work fine on fast jog (with shift key). X and Y work fine in standard jog. Z works upwards on standard jog, but when you try to jog down you get no movement and all axes lock out, requiring a manual reset to get anything going. I have reversed polarity of Z direction pulse (to eliminate possible mechanicals) and the problem reverses, with requested upward movement causing lockout. I suspect this may be linked to THC, but I have disabled THC inputs and it is still the same. Under program control Z axis moves on G0 commands, but on THC (PROMA) it shows a request to go down, but no actual movement.

Any ideas please.
Re: Mach3 Z axis problem
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:07 AM »
I have unplugged the parallel output - no change in symptoms. I also notice that when the system locks, the G-Code window changes colour.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:59:43 AM »
have you tried another keyboard
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »
Thank you for your response. As I said, reversing the direction polarity reverses the symptoms, so the problem is then showing when the PAGE_UP is used, rather than the PAGE_DOWN.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:15:18 AM »
Hi John, I suspect it might be your computer, however if your in the UK the weather might be the problem. My machine is in the workshop (shed) down the garden and has been working without a hitch most of the last 3 years however during the cold spell things didn't work all the time, due to condensation from my heater or being below zero. Now the hot weather is here my machine has started missing steps in the X & Y axis, you can here the motor stop and then jump even when not cutting. The colour change to the G code screen is the clue, your computer might be overheating and causing the graphics card to default. Try it in the morning before it gets too hot. I tried my machine at 6 this morning and all worked fine, its now 3 in the afternoon and 30 degrees, (its 36 in the workshop/shed) the machine is playing up again, the temperature must be affecting the 5 volt controls. one other thing to try is the wire going into the BOB for the z axis down, has it come loose? JUST A THOUGHT.
Hope this helps
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 12:42:40 PM »
Hi Jim
Thanks for your input.
Current workshop temp is around 21C. This problem occurs all day from 0700 (temp around 16c) to evening (temp up to around 22c). The colour change on the G Code window is just the normal change you get when you click into that window, but it is also being triggered by the lockout. The wire for the Z axis is not loose or faulty as the problem doesn't happen on fast jog (SHIFT + PageDown), only on simple PageDown. There appears to be no other symptoms on other programs that might indicate computer fault. The lockout also occurs when the driver card is disconnected, so it looks very much like a settings problem in Mach3.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 05:32:55 PM »
Can you attach your xml please.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 01:24:27 AM »
XML attached. Let me know if you need anything else.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 02:18:01 PM »
Ok for your system Hotkeys you have Code List set to the same key as your Z- jog key, that is likely an issue.
Also I would advise to enable Enhanced Pulsing on General Config, it is not what is causing your problem but may be giving you poorer pulsing.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 04:26:23 PM »
Thanks for your response. I'm out of the works for a couple of days. I will post back as soon as I can try this.