Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:33:16 AM

Author Topic: Plugin Configure, motors running away  (Read 2946 times)

Plugin Configure, motors running away
« on: July 11, 2013, 05:35:50 PM »
Hi All,

I have a 3 axis machine that has run for years with custom motion control software but currently experimenting with Mach3 control.  The setup consists of DC brushless motors on the X and Y with a stepper on the Z.  They are controlled with DMC 18-6 controller.

I downloaded Mach3 and the Galil plugin, installed according to PDF guide.  I first started Mach3 and initially it didn't see the galil and requested that I restart the program.  After this I restarted and went to the config-plugin menu and in the drop down I saw the DMC 18-6 option so I selected that.  The x axis immediately (or after hitting reset, can't remember) went full speed and I had to quickly hit "big red" to kill the power.  I rebooted everything and verified the PID settings through DMC setup.  Started Mach3 again and the Y axis took off, so another point for the big red button.  I thought to go back in to the plugin config with the controller off so that the motors wont move, but Mach3 doesn't like this and locks up upon starting.

Is there a way that I can safely configure without risk of motor movement or should I un-couple them from machine?
Any ideas on what I should check first on the plugin config?  I am sure that I have some settings incorrect but afraid to run Mach3 until I get some guidance.
The machine is very large and dangerous and moves extremely fast during these problems.

Thank you very much,

Bob
Re: Plugin Configure, motors running away
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 10:23:22 AM »
Hi Bob,
Anytime you are setting up a servo machine you should uncouple the motors from the load so as to prevent crashes.
Under the axis setup tab you may need to setup the axis as either servo or servo reverse. This tells Mach which way to move the motor in relation to the feedback. It is the same as rewiring the motors or the feed back.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »
Thanks you for the help!

I disconnected the drives and adjusted my motor settings for reverse on the Y axis.  This got the motors settled down.  I can now jog the x and y, but I want to be able to drive this with g-code.  Is there any resources for this, in the looking I have done it appears I may need some g-code to galil converter?  I tried sending g code through the MDI, but galil doesn't recognize this.

Thanks again,

Bob
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:20:17 PM »
Hi Bob,
Glad that worked.
Mach3 will run G-code thru the Galil card once everything is set up properly.
In the MDI window if you put in G00 X3 Y3 and then hit the enter key it should go.
Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.