Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 08:59:44 PM

Author Topic: Error "Galil can't move toward limit"  (Read 4469 times)

Error "Galil can't move toward limit"
« on: July 06, 2013, 04:55:05 AM »
Hello,
I have a DMC-4030 connected to Mach3Turn. The Galil A and B axis are servo drives. The C axis is the spindle (also servo drive).
I have configured the Galil plugin (4.5) according to the PDF. Limits and homes are active low in the plugin.

My problem is that X and Z (A and B) can only move in one direction. If I try to move in the other direction, I get the error message "Galil : Cant move toward limit". If I check on the diagnostics page however, the ++ and -- limtis for X and Z are both yellow (not tripped). If I manually trip either limit switch, the yellow light disappears, and I get the erro rmessage "limit switch triggered" in Mach3, so at least they seem to work correctly.

I would be thankful for any help as to why I can only move in one direction.

regards
Pontus

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Error "Galil can't move toward limit"
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 05:52:14 AM »
I know nothing of the Galil but sounds to me like your limits are wrong, ie light should be out if NOT tripped. Try changing the active state of the limits and see if that helps.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:12:45 AM »
You are correct. It works now. In the Ports & Pins config, I had to deselect the "Active low" checkbox. But in the Galil config, I have to check the box for active low. Confusing. Thanks!
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2013, 01:18:19 PM »
I'm having the same problem, but for different ( and unknown ) reasons. Here's the scoop - any help would be greatly appreciated:

I have a Galil DMC 2142 that has been set up and running for a few years with Mach 3 on a bridgeport mill. I've been having some intermittent issues unrelated to this post ( will probably post later...), so I decided to clone my drive so I could return to where I was, and update Mach 3, the galil plugin and the galil firmware to see if it helped. Now that I've updated Mach 3 and the plugin, I get the error "Galil can't move toward limit!" when I try to jog any axis towards the "+" position. It will jog towards the "-" position, and if I use MDI it will move fine with a G0 command in any direction. It also references home fine. I didn't have this problem before the updates, and all settings transferred when I updated.

I'm a novice when it comes to the electronics / programming that makes my machine run ( it was setup by someone else ), so small words please  ;) - it's probably something obvious, but I haven't found it yet.

Thanks, Alex