Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:36:21 AM

Author Topic: RE:Mach 3  (Read 7636 times)

RE:Mach 3
« on: June 30, 2013, 02:00:18 PM »
Hello to all
I have been a Mach 3 user for many years now and don't come on to the forum all that much any more this has been my first in many month's, i was at first thinking that this forum had gone away but after poking around found it. So what is the story here on Mach 3-4 i also see a new web site and style are former Mach 3 owners going to given a chance to upgrade or ? ???

Rg's
Dennis

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
Re: RE:Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 03:43:59 PM »
Word is that there will be an introductory price when Mach4 is released.
Noone really knows when it will be available, but a beta is supposed to be available soon, maybe a month or two?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:54:04 PM »
Dennis,
You can get the additional info on Mach 4 from the link below:

http://www.machsupport.com/software/mach4/

RICH

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 12:36:35 PM »
Rich
Thanks for the reply reading the info on the web site i see that mach 4 will be offered in many types would you know what the differences would be between a hobby version and a commercial version as i see mach 3 right now it is a full version.

Rg's
Dennis 

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 03:48:50 PM »
At the start there will be no difference between Hobby and Pro versions but as time goes on they will likely grow apart. The big difference at this point in time will be the price.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 10:10:53 PM »
will the hobby version support the parallel port?

John

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:56:21 AM »
Mach4 is a hardware based programme, that means all devices are seen as external controllers and access Mach via a plugin. There will be a plugin for the Parallel  Port, it is named Darwin and you can get some info regards it in the attached pdf.
So to answer your question, yes the hobby version will support the PP as long as your OS is 32bit.

Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:25:40 PM »
Hood
Thanks for the info, what will be the output form for mach 4 USB or? also it looks involved to set up for PP so whats the incentive to go from mach 3 to mach 4 and spend the money for it will it be like the other software pay an annual fee for a lic and more money for support.

Rg's
Dennis

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 01:26:16 PM »
It will most likely be USB or Ethernet but could be any means such as PCI card I suppose. As long as the vendor that makes the hardware can write a plugin to communicate with Mach then it would work.

Not really too sure why you think its involved for the PP, just looks similar to me too the way you would set up with a PP now.

If Mach3 does all you need then no real advantage to upgrading I suppose.
Few things that may be better are
Mach4 should be a lot easier to fix when bugs are found as its modular.
Feedhold is reportedly instant.
Mach itself will run much faster which should make I/O respond very quickly.
Hugely expanded I/O amount capability.
Comp etc should work better.
CSS in Turn should be possible etc etc

Regards price, as far as I am aware its similar to the way Mach is now for the Hobby version, ie one off cost and if using for hobby use, ie not selling anything you make on the machine, then you can use it on as many machines as you want with the one licence.

Pro version will be similar regards the cost, ie one off payment but how the support package for pro will work I am unsure, that may be yearly if required. Pro licence is per machine so have two machines and you need two licences, but thats the same as with Mach3, so no change there.

Hood
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2013, 12:33:34 PM »
Hood
Funny you mention turn as that is why i origanlly purchased Mach but turn didn't work out and the turn module never really came to life well i guess it's a wait and see issue.

Rg's
Dennis