Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:25:31 PM

Author Topic: do they not simply make a wireless break out board?  (Read 6605 times)

Re: do they not simply make a wireless break out board?
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 09:42:40 AM »
I'm here for you brainiac's to teach us wrench turners, which way is up!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 09:43:36 AM »
Frankly i can imagine it, but........, when all is said and done you just end up replacing / adding back in  required functional capabilty somewhere to make a device do as requested unless the device has capabities which are different than our current understanding of natures laws. So the new guizmo just seems like there is magic going on and implemented so easily.

We did 20 years ago with radio control what the general public is being offered today as a revolution in control.
So i am not impressed or maybe just an old fart about some things.

When it comes to safety, fail safe is a term which can have a rather broad meaning in terms of degree and loss of signal controlled by software. What if life or limb is dependant on that type of fail safe........it would never pass my what if operations review.

RICH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:19:43 AM »
So that would be wireless electricity, Ya, that's what we need   8)

Nikola Tesla thought so.  Of course their is great controversy if he is responsible for leveling 830 square miles of forest in Siberia with his  Wardenclyffe Tower project too.  Personally, I think he did.

"The Tunguska explosion knocked down an estimated 80 million trees over an area covering 2,150 square kilometers (830 sq mi)"

Interesting to see how things develop.  I'm generally against anything wireless other than a TV remote, a phone or RC toy.  I have cussed all of those and anything else wireless I have tried in the past for unexpected behavior.  I look forward to the day that I can be convinced I should change my way of thinking but until then I sure don't want to be cussing my machine for unexpected behaviour.  That can be dangerous and costly.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 11:56:31 AM »
I'm with those that wouldn't touch wireless control of CNC with a very long barge pole - However - if you have more fingers than you need and you're gagging to try it couldn't you just whack an ESS in a router LAN port?

Ian
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
Just because you can push a button and close a relay that energizes a motor contact to move something, does not in any way fit the definition of CNC.
There is no Computer and no Numeric's, just Control

Sorry that's been irking me all day, sorry had to vent.  ;D

Just finished rough mounting my Y axis and 90 degree re-mountable spindle on my lathe, nothing but fun, getting closer.

Thought we needed to forget this subject because it wont happen in my shop.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 07:24:41 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 09:00:51 PM »
Just a bit extra overhang on that one axis ???

(;-) TP
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2013, 09:21:27 PM »
Again Terry, as I said to you before, I cut wood over 90% of the time and the Y axis should handle a 8.5" swing just fine.
Not sure what axis you speak of but The X axis will handle several gang tools. I've setup and programmed this type of machine for well over 15 years.
I'm not concerned these machines are fast because there is no true tool changes, just tool offsets.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 09:23:05 PM by Ya-Nvr-No »