Hello Guest it is March 18, 2024, 11:40:05 PM

Author Topic: How to set up a touch plate and auto tool zero?  (Read 4081 times)

Offline Tom

•  15 15
    • View Profile
How to set up a touch plate and auto tool zero?
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:47:12 AM »
Sorry if this question is dumb I'm totaly new to all of this. I have see bits and pieces of this info in my searching but nothing that is easy to follow or seems to have a solid solution.

Can anyone direct me to the best solution for adding/configuring a z zero touchplate and using the auto tool zero features?

I'm using Mach 3 and the geckodrive

Thanks!
Re: How to set up a touch plate and auto tool zero?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
Hey Tom,
 Here is one of many, MANY results fro searching "Touch Plate".
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10088.0.html

It should get you started
Russ
Re: How to set up a touch plate and auto tool zero?
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 07:21:14 AM »
There are several macros around on this forum, and I have concocted my own based on one of them.  Basically you set the tool over the "height finder" which is 38.84 mm high, touch the screen button for auto tool zero, the tool lowers itself gently until it touches the finder button, then lifts up to 50.00mm above the table.

As regards the touch plate itself, rather than a plate I have made a spring-loaded touch-off button which sticks to the bed with a magnet.  The advantage of this is that if the touch isn't sensed for some reason (for example I have been known to forget to connect the probe input!) the tool doesn't crash and you get at least a chance to hit E-stop before it's too late.  I didn't produce proper drawings but could post some photos if of interest to show how it's made.

I've also made a spindle probe with an isolated concentric tip 10mm dia (well, 9.97) that I can use to probe to set up X and Y edges.  There is new code for the edge finder buttons in the offsets screen. 

These features together make setting the machine datum a breeze.

John.