Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:59:14 PM

Author Topic: Axis moving on its own  (Read 2826 times)

Axis moving on its own
« on: June 11, 2013, 08:01:50 AM »
Hi guys, I am in the final throws of getting a 5-axis saw working but I am getting the Z-axis moving on its own as I jog the Y-axis.
I have a star grounding system with everything grounded EXCEPT the power leads to the servo motors. Is this the next thing to try or can somebody please double check my config for an error. Drives are cncdrives DG3S and these are fed via an ESS board.
Thanks, Jason.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 08:04:36 AM by garagecnc »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Axis moving on its own
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 11:17:21 AM »
Had a look at your profile, what screen set are you using?  Why are some of your axis motor outputs active low while others are active high?  Do you have the problem if giving them commands to move via MDI? How are you jogging? Hardware buttons, on screen buttons, keyboard.......

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 11:49:35 AM »
Ok, 6-axis screenset is one by "Darc" downloaded from the forums here I have also had the same problems with the standard screenset.
The mixture of high and low actives are there simply because they work and I do not know any better. I must admit I am a little embarrassed about this but I am being honest.
I am jogging using the keyboard hotkeys, but using a 64 bit Win7 laptop through ethernet smoothstepper. I have not tried MDI yet but will do shortly.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »
If the DROs in Mach are only moving on the axis you are jogging then it would seem to suggest that it is a wiring/noise issue.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 02:19:08 PM »
Yep, that is what I have got here. I take it that it is good pactice to use a sheilded power cable to the servos as well as shielded encoder cables?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 03:07:18 PM »
Yes, especially if using 5v single ended step/dir rather than differential.
Hood