Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:31:46 AM

Author Topic: Sherline 4 Axis Mill (For Laser Welding)  (Read 11072 times)

Re: Sherline 4 Axis Mill (For Laser Welding)
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2013, 12:43:56 PM »
I can only assume that they do really, since they are on a sherline table and rotary. I'll look into that before buying a LPT card though.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:17:00 PM »
So I installed an LPTcard into my computer (yes the motors can receive step/dir instructions)

Attached is my picture for the LPT port. I'm not sure what to tell the hex address portion of the ports and pins menu of mach3.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
PEACE

andrewm

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
Its also covered under the troubleshooting tutorial video which is also a good resource in case you still cannot get the motors to move.

http://www.machsupport.com/videos/
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »
That did it! The motors are running perfectly. Now to figure out relays and M functions and limit switches.

Thanks for the help.
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2013, 01:07:26 PM »
So I just now got back to this laser welding project after 2 months (got pulled in another direction during that time) and I am having trouble making a PMDX-109 breakout board work with Mach3. All I have been trying to do is send the breakout board a signal to close a relay using an M-function from Mach3. I can't seem to find where I can define the output port and pins for a given M-function. These relays are going to control things like the laser's shutter being opened/closed, and the gas solenoid to switch on and off. I tried using the spindle M-function, but did not have any luck there. Is there a list of M-functions that can be equated back to the outputs page of the ports and pins window? Or do I have to do this through some other route?
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 08:43:23 AM »
So I successfully made a relay switch over with m-functions this morning (a small victory I know). I've been searching the forums on how to set custom M-functions in the M100 and higher range, but I'm not sure I understand what is meant by saving in 'macros' folder to enable them. How do you let the program know that when say, M101 is called I want it to turn on output 1?

I found out that cycle start, hold, stop, etc are pretty easy to set up with OEMs, so I should be all set with that. Just need to figure out these custom m-functions and should be ready to go.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 09:47:22 AM »
I think you should be using M calls of M1000 and upwards (not M100).

For example:  M1000.m1s macro containing the command line ActivateSignal(OUTPUT1) will turn on Output #1 so all you need to do is configure Output #1 (Ports & Pins / Output Signals) to the output port and pin number of your choice. Then include the command M1000 into your GCode file to make it work.

More info on macros and the OEM Button codes can be found in this document http://www.machsupport.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Mach3_V3.x_Macro_Prog_Ref.pdf

Tweakie.
PEACE
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:42 AM »
Thanks for the reply, it cleared up what I hope are the last of my lack of understanding as far as the basic set up goes.

May have a few more about setting the second parallel port to have more inputs, but I'm not that far yet.

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2013, 08:21:36 AM »
Thanks for the reply, it cleared up what I hope are the last of my lack of understanding as far as the basic set up goes.

I'm not certain we ever get a total understanding - I have been using Mach3 for many years now and to be honest, I still don't know the half of it.  ;D

Tweakie.
PEACE