Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 05:34:13 AM

Author Topic: nema 23, 76mm body, 1/4'' - 6.35mm shafts, 'b' through shafts - now what?  (Read 4322 times)

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
so i know i need a nema 23
76mm length
1/4'' output shaft not 6mm
'b' designation = through shaft for wheels

now what
how many wires?
do i need 4 or 8

the original old round isel techno FB2 round motors are 8, but pair into the connector - does it matter for mach3 what i use?

erm the limit stops are built into the ganrty, they have two wires out but 3 into the switch, how many for mach3, do i just need to have 2 straight to the switch
as i have the relay thing missing on one of them

where do i get the little wheels from?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 11:11:33 AM by nobby »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
I suggest that you do some reading on stepper motors for understanding. You will find a lot of good information on
the Gecko site. Below is a link:

http://www.geckodrive.com/

RICH

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
Ahh, great, so 8 wire it is, wired parralel or series = uni/bi polar dependant upon current draw verses something else....
 I simply want to fit new motors into these housings and use the original wireing as its tidy with plugs and earths and has the limit stop wires in it all if you like run the machine stock?
this was foxing me \/

someone has replaced the x-axis motor
with a 6 wire motor, i think so as its a later style square one, anyway I just want to buy some new motors as they all feel a bit tired
but I am stumped as i need the same length 76mm, with the wheels - i don't have.

the last thing that is foxing me is the weight....... I think there are 2 options?

I just want to buy some stuff....... ;D

but I suppose I match the drives to the motors

annyways, while I am, on... I have been on that utoob for hours and hours, more questions

1. when is mach4 due for release
2. I can then go and buy a windows8 tablet
3. I can then go and buy a LAN B.O.B

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
OH, I get it now - thats why the ebay motor drive kits are cheap, as they are 4 wire, so the motor spins up and wants more juice - but can't get it so stalls out...
right - on with the search
http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Stepper-Motors/Stepper-Motors

still don't quite understand 180Nmc
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:47:37 AM by nobby »

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
I just want to buy some stuff.......

Buy once and for the right reason or you will end up buying  lots of stuff.  ;)

I will assume that you are retrofitting an existing machine.
How the stepper is wired determines it's operating characteristics. Torque, operating speed, amps / voltage required
etc. The stepper is sized for intended use and you need a desirable  torque range at some operating speed for whatever you are going to do. The system ie; power supply, drive and motor act as system, so, before you just buy
you need to understand how that is interelated.

You may want to consider using servo's instead of steppers. They require a different type of drive.

Suggest you consider modifying  the motor mounting instead of picking a motor that fits in a particular housing.

So define what you are going to do with the machine, see what type , size, motors are required for anticipated movements, provide a correct drive for the motorof your choice and make sure the power suply is adequate.

Thus go back to the Gecko site and "STUDY"  all the info there and know before you go.

BTW, 180 Ncm  not  "180 Nmc" is likely the holding torque rating in metric units.
             1 newton centimeter = 1.4161193228 ounce inch

RICH
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 07:54:33 AM by RICH »

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile
hello there,
right I have gotten some
nema 23's 3.1nm
and some cw5045
400 watt psu at 38v

typically the foot on the new motors is 5mm thicker, so I have ordered some m5's 5mm longer.
the motors are 10mm longer, so the holes in the cans don't line up, so I have to move the earth.
and the shafts are 8mm now and not 6 or 6.35 so i need some new couplings.
also need some 8mm twisty wheels, where do i get them from, can I use toothen pulleys?
want to keep the sheilded original wireing and the connectors and cans.....

anyways the new motors are 8 wire, and I need t know how to wire thembipolar parallel
this is what i have colour wise
could you simply tell me how to pair them please, and then what they become...

brown
white
black
blue
red
yellow
green
orange

Offline nobby

•  153 153
    • View Profile

is this correct, all the places i have look have the 4 colours wires whith the white stripes

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
nobby,
Suggest you have a look on the Gecko Site at the "Stepper Motor Basics" since it shows different configurations
for 4,6,8 wire steppers. Also you usually get  a spec sheet from where you purchased them which shows
the different configurations. To check the different color combinations, to assure they are correct ,you can do
a continuity check of the wiring noting what the resistance value is.

I take it that you never even went to Gecko site as recommended. It's of no value to guide you to an excellent source of good general information if you don't make the effort to read some on your part.

RICH