Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 06:52:59 AM

Author Topic: Jog Pad issue...TIME TO UPGRADE  (Read 2972 times)

Jog Pad issue...TIME TO UPGRADE
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Milling a project, out of no where, machine looses step or something and goes off course. OK, maybe motor tuning not right although have done many projects today with no issue. Closed and rebooted everything, NOW when I hit tab to open JOG PAD within MAch3, buttons do not respond. Up Down arrows and side to side arrows as well as Page Up and Page down ON KEYBOARD work fine, but JOG PAD within Mach NOT working.

And then I guess I just don't understand how the projects can be going great and then all of a sudden she goes off path. Motor Tuning? But the three projects I did before this one went without an issue, and they were even bigger.

Any ideas? Or should I just upgrade to GREENBULL CNC from BuildYourCNC.com?

I use an ESS Smooth Stepper from Warp9 and the version of Mach is R3.043.058 as suggested by smooth stepper.

Would appreciate any guidance.

Jeff
Re: Jog Pad issue...TIME TO UPGRADE
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 08:02:36 PM »
I have attached my XML just in case.

Jeff

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 08:02:01 AM »
Any ideas? Or should I just upgrade to GREENBULL CNC from BuildYourCNC.com?
Only you can decide if the above is an upgrade.......

I would suggest you tune the motors. Have a look at the Mach manual.
You can re-configure the keys (see Chapter 5 in the Mach manual) to suit your own preferences.

RICH

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 08:37:00 AM »
What kind of machine are you currently using? And what motors and drives?
With homebuilt (and even cheap ready to run) machines, sometimes frequent adjustments and alignments are required to keep them operating properly.
The slightest amount of misaligment can cause binding of the motion components, leading to stalling and lost position. Even changes in temperature can cause issues.

If the jog keys were working before, it's possible that the .xml file became corrupt.

The .xml you posted doesn't seem correct? It has a parallel port address, and no motors set up in motor tuning? Maybe because I don't have an SS, but it doesn't seem right.

As for the Greenbull....

Just my opinion, but I think the Build Your CNC  stuff is all overpriced and underperforming on many levels. They seem to have a large community of happy users, but to me they don't have any idea that there are far better products out there. Take a look at CNC Router Parts, for a much more rigid, all metal machine, that will run circles around the Greenbull for about the same money.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 08:40:27 AM by ger21 »
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html