Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:40:09 AM

Author Topic: Homing and grounding  (Read 3093 times)

Homing and grounding
« on: June 07, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »
I have an 5' x 10' cnc plasma made by http://www.ldrmotionsystems.com/ with torch height control and a hypertherm 45 plasma. I do not have the table grounded. The issue is when trying to set the home the gantry will touch the home switch and not back off the machine. If I try to cut the machine does not stay on path and can be eratic. This has started again, I have been cutting for the last 6-7 months with no issue. It seems it could be weather related since the weather is warmer here in Vancouver BC now and i havent had this issue since late summer last year. When I move the gantry the motors will have a different sound when it is not homing properly. If I leave the machine off for a few hours it seems to home and work properly for a short time. Could this be a grounding issue?

Thank you in advance.

Marko :)

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,195 9,195
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
Re: Homing and grounding
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
From what you describe the problem is more likely to be a temperature issue rather than grounding.

Check that you have adequate ventilation / cooling at both your PC and your motor controller. Are your motors perhaps getting too hot ?

Tweakie.
PEACE

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:25:28 AM »
Proper grounding of a plasma table is important both for your safety and for your electronic's well being.

Perhaps post #9 in this thread by Jim Colt of Hypertherm will help.
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 02:12:31 PM »
The building is cool and the motors do not get hot. The machine will have this issue when it has been off for days as well, I am going to install a ground rod today to see if this will fix the issue since it should be done this way anyways and report back.

Thank you.