Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:58:53 AM

Author Topic: leds  (Read 3890 times)

leds
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
I just got my 56U today. I've been struggling to understand the docs for the past several days. I'm getting there.
I didn't realize that I can put a led on my control board that emulates a screen led. If I read the connection diagram correctly, I wire from the out pin through a resistor to a led, and from the led to ground.
Okay, ,,, what do I buy, where do I buy, such leds. Do they have certain specs.?
Ozzie
Re: leds
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »
It seems that you don't have many experience with LEDs...

Maybe google helps, or this link: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To-Use-LEDs/

You can connect LEDs in two different ways to your PoKeys:
1. One LED to one pin (Site 23 -> Ponit 8.1.)
2. Matrix (Site 46 -> Point 8.9.)

The documentation of PoKeys is very helpful...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 09:33:45 AM »
Thanks,
You are right, I have zero experience with leds.
I spent a little time on Digikey looking around for leds, seems the are hundreds or thousands of possibilities, different voltages, colors, shapes. And I don't see much about how to mount them.
Hookup seems simple enough.
So, if someone will tell me what they are buying, and how they are mounting them, I won't need to reinvent everything, I'll have a running start.
I just would like to have a few single leds; state of jog, tool change requested, G53/G54, etc.

Also, is it possible to have the Gecko 320X leds repeated on my board, at least the fault led?
Ozzie

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »

The documentation of PoKeys is very helpful...

Please understand that not everyone understands/comprehends the same way.

What may seem "easy" to you is not necessarily easy to someone just learning. I've also had a bit of trouble understanding the Pokeys manual, and in this day and age, a video tutorial goes a long way.  ;)

This is not meant to offend PoLabs in any way, it is meant to help them to understand that not everyone has the same degree of intellect, and it would probably help them to sell a lot more items if they included video tutorials.

A good model to look at would be Vectric software. They understand that when you're able to spoon-feed customers on how something works, you get a great fan-base and happy customers.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
Re: leds-- Pokeys for dummies
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 07:51:29 PM »
I am now to the point of understanding enough to do all I want to do presently. Tomorrow I will get two joysticks wired and an encoder and see if that works. Then I can work on the rest.
However I have been perusing the posts on this site and I'm thinking that I have no idea of the capabilities of Pokeys running with Mach3.
One post talked about addressing 40 ULEDs and then a reply by Poppabear, (Hi Scott), advised that he should use brains. I know what a brain is and I assume a ULED is a user defined LED, but beyond that I have no idea what that is all about. That's not the only example, just the one that comes to mind immediately.
Someone should write a booklet or PDF, talking about the things Pokeys can do, with examples; Pokeys for dummies!
In this forum people present specific problems and often it seems those problems are solved, but if one is trying to learn, in many cases they don't understand the problem, let alone the solution.
All that being said, I still don't know WHAT LEDS TO BUY!
I see some on Digikey that are about 5mm, different colors, about 2V, about a dollar something, look like a bulb sticking out of a black cube. I see nothing about how to mount them. If no one can help me I suppose I'll buy them, drill a close hole in the aluminum and hot glue them in place from the bottom.
Ozzie
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 10:27:01 PM »
When there's no help at hand, DIY.
I found 5 mm Leds for about 8 cents apiece and mounts for them for a couple pennies each. I bought some of every color and the site tells how to figure the size of the resistor needed.
I spent more time on my console today but didn't get to hooking up the joysticks yet. They are screwed in place; maybe wires tomorrow.
Ozzie