Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:25:09 AM

Author Topic: hot environment  (Read 3513 times)

hot environment
« on: June 04, 2013, 10:10:19 AM »
A while back I was having problems that turned out to be "popped" capacitors on the motherboard of my computer. Since then, I've had the same problem a couple more times... So...

Does anybody know of a computer that is designed to run in a hot environment? My mill is in my (un-airconditioned) garage and my computers keep popping capacitors. Are there any good solutions that do not include an air conditioner or a computer cooler? Can I under clock the motherboard somehow to keep the heat down? Has anybody else had this same problem and found a solution? I am way too cheap to cool my garage (I'd put a smiley face after that but it's true).

Thanks for any ideas you may have!
-Andrew
Re: hot environment
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 11:08:28 AM »
Your problem isn't heat, it cr@ppy components on that motherboard.  It's not uncommon problem on low-end motherboards.  There were also a large number of motherboards, of all brands, built a number of years ago with caps that were poorly manufactured.  Good quality caps will have no problem at all with any reasonable ambient temp.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
You can specify the high temp 105C caps too, if you haven't already.
Also, a little air circulation goes a long way, if you haven't already.
Russ
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:47:49 PM »
The first and second machines were top of the line motherboards. After that, I switched to "el cheapo" motherboards. At the time I was in Vegas with my garage routinely getting into the 110-120 degree range for extended periods at both day and night. Yes, I have not been kind to my computers. I have since moved and am looking into a new computer for my mill, which again is in my garage (also un-airconditioned as before). I have a few computers to choose from since I've blown so many motherboards while living in Vegas and want to not repeat that problem, although the temperature here is much cooler so it might not be a problem anyway. Maybe my solution will be half a dozen fans pointed at the motherboard for peace of mind. The problem seems to only happen at the worst time, right in the middle of a long job but isn't that always the case?

Thanks to everybody on this forum for all of the help.
-Andrew
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2013, 12:21:00 PM »
Hi Andrew,
You may be too CHEAP to provide A/C to the garage or at least the computer but what has it cost you in down time, dead computers and worst of all, lost business or damaged parts???

Having said that if you are in a cooler environment, try adding more fans to the computer case. Also putting the computer in a box with air filters to keep dust out will help. Even in a house hold environment the heat sinks get plugged with dust and pet hair. I try to dust out all of our computers at least every 6 months in the house and more often in the shop.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2013, 02:00:49 PM »
TOTALLYRC,

Great suggestion! The last box that blew looked like some furry woodland creature had taken nest in it. Vegas is notorious for dust. I'd say that Florida would be different but I just opened up a friend's computer that lives here and it was just clogged with dust bunnies. I will definitely take your advise and make a filter enclosure. Thanks again, sometimes the thing is just staring you in the face and you don't see it.

-Andrew

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 02:24:27 PM »
Here is Florida we can grow dust bunnies so big it would scare a West Texas Jackrabbit. Moving filtered air is your friend and LOTS of it for PC's AND electronics.

(;-) TP
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 10:06:11 PM »
Andrew,

I live in North Texas and also have a non air conditioned  shop which has been as hot as 140 degrees. I bought an old Dell omniplex  off of Ebay for $54 with free shipping and it has never balked at the temp.

Larry