Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:39:56 AM

Author Topic: RE: spindle encoder on ESS  (Read 9283 times)

RE: spindle encoder on ESS
« on: June 02, 2013, 08:25:47 PM »
Hi everyone ,i am trying to research the encoder function of the ESS for spindle sync of my lathe spindle , i want to use the C53 board from CNC4 PC .   http://www.cnc4pc.com/Store/osc/product_info.php?products_id=483
 What i am wanting to know is has anyone done this and how did it work for them ?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: RE: spindle encoder on ESS
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 04:38:38 PM »
You just need the index pulse on an input for threading on the SS or ESS, the axis is not properly synchronised to the spindle encoder unless things have changed very recently.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 08:26:51 PM »
Thank's Hood i did get a hold of Greg i think that was his name ,from Warp 9 and he said he will be working on this and hopes to add the A and B channel's, sure would be nice.

I sure do not want to spend a couple thou. on a re-due ,seem's i am doing a lot of single pointing lately , a lot of wind mill  banyan pump connecting shaft's of stainless steel for ranch's .

Lot's of water being pumped this time of year in Arizona ,and it is only 106 in the shade!!! :D

Offline derek

•  200 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 06:10:36 AM »
Yea they've been working on that A B thing for a few years now. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Derek

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:33:01 AM »
Woffler,
 I do a lot of threading and the SS and ESS have  always done nice threads for me using the index only form an encoder, are you having problems with it?
Hood
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 11:55:06 AM »
No, I have gotten it to work ,but I am getting a weird move out of Mach on the beginning of a thread file for a tapered thread .

It will make a rapid move to ( X0 ) from the offset position of ( X.84 Z0 ) when it is not in the G code program ,thus causing me to have to offset the (Z zero) by the with of the threading tool.
And as you know this affects the length of your taper and thread's per inch, is there a setting in Mach that could cause it to make this move?

I am going to attach the G code file so you can see it  ,this happens before the spindle start,  immediately from cycle start.

Thank's Woffler

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »
What have you got set in General Config for the toolchange option? If its Stop Spindle then wait for start it could be something in the M6end macro, for Turn there should be nothing in it.
Hood
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 02:29:00 PM »
I have stop and wait for cycle start in general Config., i wrote another program for 2 inch pipe and got the same result it just want's to dive right in there to X0.

It must be in the Macro ,I would not even know how to look at it and find and correct it. ???

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 02:35:56 PM »
In Mach go to Operator menu then down to VB Script Editor.
The Editor will open then go to File menu then Open. Browse to the macro folder of the profile you are using and double click M6End.m1s.
It should have

REM nothing here in lathe

in it, if it has anything else delete it and paste in the above, click file and then save and then close the editor and see if your issue is still there.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »
I found a lot in there ,am I supposed to delete everything? I attached the file so you can see it.