Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:40:39 PM

Author Topic: Rigid tapping with IP-A  (Read 31848 times)

Re: Rigid tapping with IP-A
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2013, 12:10:08 PM »
Wow, that's amazing Hood.  Need to show that to those snooty LinuxCNC guys. ;)
Milton from Tennessee ya'll.

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
Well thinking more about a VFD tapping. A servo will still KNOW what the accel/deaccel values are not mater how fast or slow you run it. So going to a set depth is not a problem

With a VFD you will NOT know what the values will be(different for each speed you run it) so the unit MAY or may not work well for blind  tapping with a VFD.

More testing needed using a VFD.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 01:16:07 PM »
I also ran the peck thread again into the previously peck tapped hole but this time at full accel of the spindle (0.8 seconds to full RPM) and again it worked flawlessly as can be seen in the video.
http://youtu.be/d87kv3GSqvY

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 02:07:01 PM »
Good tests and videos, Hood. Thanks.

Dan

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 02:16:12 PM »

LOL one of the loudest exponents of LinuxCNC and Mach bashing has seen it but failed to comment by the looks of it ;D

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 02:17:34 PM »
Well thinking more about a VFD tapping. A servo will still KNOW what the accel/deaccel values are not mater how fast or slow you run it. So going to a set depth is not a problem

With a VFD you will NOT know what the values will be(different for each speed you run it) so the unit MAY or may not work well for blind  tapping with a VFD.

More testing needed using a VFD.

Just a thought, (;-) TP

Replied to you on the Yahoo however I will post my reply here as well just so people dont think I am ignoring you ;D

Terry, my spindle (as well as axes) is controlled via +/-10v analogue signal and
 the loop is closed back to the CSMIO and it is tuned with the PID in the CSMIO.
 If you have a VFD you will be using the 0-10v analogue signal from the CSMIO,
 again the encoder goes back to the CSMIO and again it is tuned in the CSMIO.

So in summary I can not see how there would be a difference, both analogue
 voltage, both tuned in CSMIO, both using encoder feedback.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 02:18:29 PM »
No probs Dan, I am just so delighted with it I like to show off what it is capable of ;D

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2013, 03:53:32 AM »
Bravo......... Bravo!!!!!!   ;D  It just keeps getting better.  Very impressive Hood!  Even the coolant is over the top!  ;D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2013, 05:26:56 AM »
Nah its just fine, did have two locline hoses on the other week but that was OTT so went back to 1 ;D

Hood
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2013, 06:11:02 PM »
Is it me?  I saw the video - very nice!  It is always cool to see a converted machine that runs as good or better than the original control.  Nice work. 

Mach has been able to rigid tap for a while with external hardware that supports it..  Kflop and now cs-labs (there might be more).   ( http://www.cnczone.com/forums/benchtop_machines/125999-grizzly_x3_rigid_tapping_1000rpm_video.html ).  'mach' doesn't rigid tap.  The external motion card does.  (as seen by the unconventional gcode to make it work...)  That is the main argument.  Linuxcnc with its realtime control does all the motion and syncing (plus integrated ladder logic).  This makes it so any external hardware (even the printer port) can rigid tap (or do other fancy cool things like gear hobbing...).  While with mach - you have to make sure the motion hardware you buy supports the things you want to do.  (plus you can configure everything in one place. - hood had to tune and setup cs-labs, mach, and his plc.  With linuxcnc - this could all be done in one place.)  And no - you don't have to be a programmer to do it.

Knowing the work that goes into a conversion of that scale - again - very nice work! 

sam

LOL one of the loudest exponents of LinuxCNC and Mach bashing has seen it but failed to comment by the looks of it ;D

Hood