Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:35:41 PM

Author Topic: Any interest in a plugin to run a GS2/GS3 VFD (Automation Direct).  (Read 7241 times)

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
I am considering doing one for ADCs  GS series VFDs.
Perhaps even DuraPulse at a later date depending on interest.

Control over Serial MB, and optional TCP/IP modbus (IF you want to use the Ethernet Drive controller option boards).

Sing out if this is a drive your currently using (or would use).

NOTE: If the modbus control option is chosen, then the DI/DO on the drive is defeated, only the keyboard stop works....
I can put advanced diagnostics, status, control, and Optional change drive parameters in real time (note really need to know what your doing for that).

Scott
fun times

Offline Ody

•  7 7
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a plugin to run a GS2/GS3 VFD (Automation Direct).
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 12:23:23 AM »
I use the GS2-11P0  and an HSD spindle.  I am  interested in your work.  Also use Gerry's screen set. Nice work Gerry.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 12:25:21 AM by Ody »

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 09:11:02 AM »
Scott, I would have used one last week if it were available  :)  These are nice drives and I would imagine a lot of Mach users are running them.  I will need to be able to swap from serial to Di control and can with some on screen buttons.  I have one issue with that though, if the parameter is set for DI control it does not respect the Fwd/Rev signals as long as I still have serial communications established with the drive.  Also, the keyboard stop does not work like I would expect it to.  If sending serial run commands and I hit the keyboard stop, it hardly slows down and only for a split second.  I suspect this is because the serial is then sending the run command so I will have to look at ways to do an interlock to prevent this.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 07:13:22 PM »
Scott, if do a plug-in, one feature that would be nice is for you to have the option to select the source of input to a default mode on exiting Mach.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
Brett,

Give me a call on the tele...........   

Scott
fun times
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
I'm interested in this as I have the GS3 drive.  Would like to use serial MB if possible.  I have the Automation Direct USB to modbus converter.
I was going to spend some time to figure it out but no point re-inventing the wheel if a solution is already out ther.

Regards,
Mark

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 10:40:31 AM »
no plugin solution, was not enough interest to warrant the labor.
fun times
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 05:28:44 PM »
My high quality 2.2kw chinese drive had a mental breakdown. Started going in reverse then the display flashed error messages. So in the trash it went. Have a GS3 now and its light years ahead in quality. Interestingly, its larger than the chinese 2.2kw drive. I always suspected it wasn't a 2.2kw unit problem is there were no product ID label on it. Anyway... I would be interested in a plug in. 

Offline poppabear

•  2,235 2,235
  • Briceville, TN, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:52:08 AM »
I am currently slaving away at some Mach4 (and some paying work for another project), so, time I don't have for a plugin.
BUT:  Look in the back of the GS3 Manual, and look at the Modbus addressing sections, for the Drives parameters.
BTW:  I HIGHLY recommend you download and use the FREE GS Motor software from ADC, to set up your motor.

At any rate, in the "Users Documents" area, download and read my "Brains" document, it will show you how to talk to stuff like a VFD/PLC through
modbus, you really only need a FEW areas of the drives modbus registers: On/Off, Cw/CCW, RPM,  and possibly if you want them, Enable/Disable, Drive Fault output. You can use "Group" parameters in the drive, to put all the above in ONE continuous block for addressing, then set up your Mach Modbus "Pluigin Serial" to that block of addresses. Then Use Brains to read/write to that block your commands.

Scott
fun times

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 01:03:52 PM »
Analog +10v with the GS is SO easy to use.

Just a thought, (;-) TP