Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:34:50 AM

Author Topic: new to cnc cutting/mach3  (Read 2278 times)

new to cnc cutting/mach3
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:53:36 AM »
Hi There
I have a cnc table with mach 3, it is all set up and I can jog each of the 3 axis. I have read manual etc and messed around a fair bit but have not hooked up the plasma cutter therefore I have obviously not cut anything with table yet nor do I know the next step in doing so, do I need another program to get some images or files to point that I can start cutting things out. Eventually I will be getting some HVAC design software but it is pretty expensive so I simply want to get where I can start out with some artsy type stuff to practice. Any suggestions or guidance would be very appreciated.
thx
J ??? ::)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: new to cnc cutting/mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 05:59:07 AM »
Know before you go.
Mach is a software interface which provides movement instructions to the drivers based on the instructions given to it.
Gcode are the instructions which Mach needs. You'll need program software ( CAD / CAM ...unless you are going to program manually) to create the gcode based on how you want to cut somthing.
There is more to all this than just plug and play. Enjoy the learning curve.

RICH
Re: new to cnc cutting/mach3
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 08:17:50 AM »
I suggest you download the splendid CAMBAM and load some sample DXF files into it.

Once you have installed cambam you can search online for dxf downloads. There are plenty out there from to be found many of them free.

Then import that dxf into cambam.

Good luck man

That sure is one steep learning curve ahead