Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:27:52 AM

Author Topic: retrofitting machine  (Read 4087 times)

retrofitting machine
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:10:16 AM »
im going ot try to retrofit my smithy 3 n 1. is there a section here for info on that? or am i in the right section?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: retrofitting machine
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 03:08:41 AM »
Dont think there is a section specifically for that machine, if you have any questions then this is likely the best place to post them as it gets the most traffic.
When you actually start, if you want to do a build and progress thread then the Show n Tell section is the place for that.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
didnt think there would be a specific section for my machine, just want to make sure i dont post question in the wrong forum. so far i ordered my stepper motors and controllrs. the big thing i have to figure out is the ball screws.

i know i need ballscrews, but figuring out what fits, where and what to measure, and what parts go with the ball screws and more importantly the names of parts. if i know what a part looks like but dont know what its called i dont think i will ever find it.

here's a link to a retrofit someone did that is very similar to mine and i want kinda use this idea but the way it was written, the guy assumes you know what the parts are called.
http://novalab.org/cnc/
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 11:40:17 AM »
and the other thing im worried about is will i lose my threading capability or will the mach3 software be able to do that?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 02:25:36 PM »
Threading can be done with Mach and much easier and quicker than manual threading. I have two CNC Lathes and a manual lathe. I do a lot of repair work on fishing boats and often it is quicker and easier to throw it in the manual lathe BUT any threading whether that be internal or external it gets done on the CNC as it is just so much easier, quicker, better.

Some people have issues with threading when using the parallel port but the vast majority manage fine. If using an external controller such as the Smoothstepper  etc then threading works extremely well.

Not really sure what the parts you are struggling to find names for but if its the mechanical parts then have a look at some of the sites that have sprung up recently that sell ballscrews etc, heres one in the UK
http://www.zappautomation.co.uk/en/247-mechanical-products

Hood
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 03:43:25 PM »
parts im havoing trouble with are the parts used in conjunction with ballscrews. if you look at the link i posted, the guiy that built that one says you should know what the parts are.....

im guessing the ballscrews just come with the long screw and the ball part that is enclosed on something. but at the ends where it goes into the machine...i dont know what those parts are called or if they come with the ballscrews?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:51:01 PM »
Ok well the ballscrew itself is really just the shaft, the ball nut is the part that goes along the screw, the ends are up to you. You can get blocks with bearings already in or you can use the brackets you already have on the lathe and fit bearings to them.

Normally the nut is held rigid and the screw rotates. As the screw rotates then you need to have bearings, sometimes just one end as is usual on the X axis, sometimes both ends as is usual on the Z, BTW X and Z here are referring to a lathe.
 Ok so bearings are needed but in addition the screw can not be allowed to move axially as if it does then you get backlash. The way this is solved normally is to use a pair of precision angular contact bearings at one end, the other end can just use a normal bearing.
The blocks on the link I attached will have these bearings in them, how good a quality I have no idea.

Hood
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 03:55:13 PM by Hood »
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 03:56:39 PM »
thanks, i will check that out.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
well, it looks like this smithy is not a good candidate for ball screws. i took off the y part of the table and i dont think there is any way to fit a ball nut in there.

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]