Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:00:06 PM

Author Topic: Fanuc 3m Model A and Mach 3  (Read 8294 times)

Offline DNB

•  17 17
    • View Profile
Fanuc 3m Model A and Mach 3
« on: February 14, 2007, 01:50:49 AM »
Hello all,

I have an Enshu Yuasa "Accu-mill" Model AM-1547 with a Fanuc 3M Model A controller.  This machine and controller is in pefect working order.  However, the controller only allows me to program two axes to move simultaneously.  I would like to use Mach 3 to make the machine capable of controlling all three axes simultaneously and to use additional (more modern?) G code and M code functions.  I have little to no experience in these things but I have all the manuals available for the machine and the controller.  Can I use Mach 3 to control all three axes simultaneously and to use additional G code and M code functions?  If so, what will I need to do to accomplish this?  I am not sure what you would need to know to answer this completely so I have listed some specs below:

Controller - Fanuc 3M Model A
Least input increment = .0001inch
Controlled axes = 3 (XYZ)
Simultaneous Axes controled: 2 axes (XY, ZX, YZ)
Feed Speed (xyz) 0.01 to 150 ipm
Rapid Traverse (x and y) 300 ipm (z) 150 ipm
Feed motors (3):  Fanuc Model 0
Automatic acceleration/deceleration: Linear for rapid traverse, exponential for cutting feed
Servomotors: Fanuc DC servomotors
Servo amplifier: 6 phases (3 phases full-wave), SCR drive
Position detector: Pulse encoder
Power Supply: 3 phases

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

David

Re: Fanuc 3m Model A and Mach 3
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 09:23:22 AM »
Yes mach3 will do all 3 axis at the same time and if you add 3 more it will do all 6 at the same time ;)

Can you get the spec's off your motors and post them. I think we can find you some servo amps that will work :) OR if you would like to have better motors and drives you can buy Drives and motors from Automationdirect.com . It will cost you about 1500 (1Kw) an axis (Cheaper then any Facuc part I have ever seen)
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline DNB

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 10:08:40 AM »
Thanks for your comment.  I am a novice when it comes to the mechanics/electronics of this mill and controller.  My initial thought was that I would be able to use the existing hardware and somehow bypass the existing controller software by using the Mach 3 software.  I also assumed this might require some sort of rewiring on my part.  Am I correct in understanding that I will need to buy additional hardware?  If so, and assuming I am happy with my current hardware, what would I need to purchase?

I will post the motor specs this evening when I have a chance to look at them.  In particular, what specs would you need?

I must say it was quite humbling to come to this forum and realize just how much I don't know what it comes to this technology.  So once again, thanks so much for your help. 

David
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 10:36:51 AM »
David,
if you re going to cut for money I think it is best to just get new drives and motors. It will cost you about 5000 to get it up and running. It will also take 10% of the time of trying to use the old stuff (I have been down that road)...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline DNB

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 03:37:09 PM »
Hello Bryan,

Thanks again for you comments.  I am not machining for money but strictly as a hobby in my spare time.  As such I would not want to spend a great deal of money to upgrade the motors, drives, etc.  I also have plenty of time to make the necessary adjustments to use the existing equipment.  With that said, what would I need to do in order to hook up my PC with Mach 3 to run the machine with full 3 axis control without having to replace all or most of the existing equipment?  I understand that this may be difficult to answer without seeing the schematics of the machine but I just would like to gauge how realistic it is for me to make the necessary adjustments to run Mach 3 on my machine.

Also, what motor specs did you need?

Thanks so much.  I really appreciate your input.

David

Hood

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 03:53:05 PM »
Mach uses digital signals (step and direction) to control the motors and I would imagine that your drives are analogue. There are converter boards available called pixies, they take the step/direction from Mach and convert it to analogue for the drives. Might be worth checking them out as they may be suitable for you.
Hood

Hood

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 03:54:18 PM »
oops forgot the link
http://www.skyko.com/products/

Offline DNB

•  17 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 04:02:24 PM »
Thanks, Hood! I'll check it out.