Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:30:23 AM

Author Topic: HELP PLEASE CNC 3020  (Read 27184 times)

HELP PLEASE CNC 3020
« on: May 07, 2013, 11:38:41 AM »
Hi,

I am another new guy looking for answers, I have a cnc 3020 just a cheapy from china, my problem is I cant get the dam thing to run. Can anyone please help im running Mach 3 on a Acer laptop which is running windows XP, I have use a USB to 25Pin Parallel Printer Cable Lead is that right??? Can anyone help me with the setting or something like that, does someone have one? how do you get it to run?

Thanks for your help!!!

Regards

Tim
Re: HELP PLEASE CNC 3020
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
I may be wrong but I don't think the usb to parallel adaptors work.
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »
I'm not sure if they will run off usb either but i know when using an non standard parallel port you need to change the port address in the config-ports &pins menu
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:01:49 PM »
How do I do that?

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:11:03 PM »
A USB to DB25 adapter will NOT work with Mach3. In this case you would need a motion controller such as a Smoothstepper.

(;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 10:45:12 PM »
Have you looked at or read your manual for the 2030?

RICH
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 01:20:00 AM »
Hello. I just now saw your post regarding the 3020. The '3020' is what I noticed. I recently purchased one myself.
I had an older computer with XP OS that I had replaced with a newer one. The older one has a parallel port. That is what I am using for my 3020 CNC controller.
I am pretty sure that you cannot use USB to parallel cable adapter to accomplish the interface with the CNC machine. I know I read that somewhere but cannot remember where exactly, but it does make sense that the 25 pin parallel cable cannot possibly get all the signals from the USB connector. For one thing Universal Serial Bus (USB) and Parallel port are just not the same species.

Ok, that said, you can get a parallel port card for your computer quite cheap (Google "parallel port" and see the results). Just make sure that it is compatible with the type of expansion slots that you have available.

Once you have a parallel cable connected, computer to 3020 controller box, you have to set up the pin assignment, etc. in the Mach3 Mill Config - Ports and Pins.

The documentation that I got with my machine was, well sparse doesn't quite describe adequately, but I did find some documentation on-line and downloaded the files. The one that got me going as far as the computer talking to the CNC machine was at: http://www.marcmart.com/download/CNC%203020%20usermanual.doc  It will show the pin selection to use in Mach3.

I hope this helps and is in time for you not to have scrapped you 3020. I like mine, I wanted a small CNC engraving capability with the ability to do 3D stuff on a small scale. (Still working on getting it all going.

Oh, one other thing. The Mach3 software that came with the machine turned out to be pirated software. I have since purchased a legal license from Mach3. I don't understand, do the Chinese stoop to pirating?

Ok, I've rambled enough for now.

Regards,
Tom
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 01:30:53 AM »
Hey it's me again. I just reread you initial post. The fact that you are trying to use a laptop brings up to points:
1 - Forget about getting a parallel port card for the laptop. I was thinking it was a regular desktop.
2 - I have read from at least two different sources that you should not use a laptop to attempt to control the machine. One source mentioned battery issues (shouldn't be a problem with it plugged in to AC). The other said something about battery maintenance and timing, or something like that.

Ok, out for now.

Regards,
Tom

Offline dvd

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2015, 09:08:56 PM »
I'm getting a internal error wen I try to download the software... ?
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
To timw4: If you are still reading this thread, I have a bit more to add to my input here. I really don't think that the USB will work with Mach 3. The driver for the signal path to the machine controller box is for a parallel port. There is no mention about USB in the setup. I did buy a USB to parallel interface converter to try using my laptop. It is an active converter not just a cable adaptor. I haven't yet tried to use it for my 3020 since I bought another (older) computer to use that has a parallel port. Now I don't think I will try the USB to parallel converter since I don't have a clue as to how to get the driver to talk via USB.
I hope you have had better luck with your machine since your last post. I really like using mine.

Regards, Tom