Hello Guest it is April 17, 2024, 10:06:11 PM

Author Topic: can mach3 run my cnc cold saw?  (Read 3834 times)

can mach3 run my cnc cold saw?
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:09:50 PM »
Does mach 3 have a wizard for sawing applications?
Re: can mach3 run my cnc cold saw?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 07:12:22 AM »
Mach3 is for Milling.  What do you mean Cold Saw?

I've found that Mach3 can be used to cut through most materials depending on what type of CNC machine you have.
Many on here have Plasma Cutting machines, which uses a high energy laser to cut with, and others use Milling Spindle Routers, which use
high carbide end mills of various sizes.  Each of these are used to cut through steel, aluminum, brass, plastics, wood etc.

What material are you looking to cut?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 08:26:08 AM »
wizard for sawing applications
Not that I am aware of

RICH

Offline BR549

•  6,965 6,965
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 09:39:23 AM »
To answere your question YES mach3 can run a cold saw, depending on the machine.

Do a search. (;-)

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,21871.0.html

(;-) TP
« Last Edit: May 07, 2013, 09:47:38 AM by BR549 »

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
Plasma Cutting machines, which uses a high energy laser to cut with,

Not to take this off topic but....a plasma cutting machine does not use a laser. Plasma is a state of matter, basically very hot ionized gas. The plasma stream is used as a conductor to heat the metal with electricity, the gas stream also serves to blow away the molten metal. A laser uses light, very strong, coherent light beams to melt the metal and cut it.

On to the subject the OP asked about. At a basic level Mach3 has no clue what type of machine it is running. Mach3 interprets Gcode and tells the motors to move. What those motors actually do is up to you. Running a different type of machine will require a custom screen set as a standard mill, lathe type interface won't make any sense. Do some searching as Terry suggest and you will find Mach has been used for all sorts of things.
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:20 PM »
I've owned a couple of cold saws and I think Mach 3 is overkill for a cold saw.  A simple PLC would do the trick just fine, depending on what level of automation you want.  If you'd like to discuss it further contact me. I have lots of experience with the inexpensive PLCs from Automation Direct. In fact I have a DL06 connected to Mach 3 to allow a very high level of customization on my CNC.

Gary H. Lucas
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 09:58:44 PM »
Forgot to explain what a Cold Saw is!  A cold saw uses a slow turning 30 to 80 rpm toothed high speed steel blade to cut metals in a milling type operation with coolant feed. The vise typically clamps both side of the cut, so pieces 1/8" long can be cut safely.  They are very precise, one I owned would produce a 100 pieces all within 0.001" of each other.  The cut is burr free and very smooth, like it was milled.  I bought one because when I sent out blocks of aluminum for machining I got charged more for squaring up the blocks in a mill than the rest of the operations.  Once the blocks were delivered accurately cut with no excess material to machine off the shops charged me a whole lot less. I cut the parts and stamped my part number on them at the same time, made it easy to identify what pieces got made into what parts.

Gary H. Lucas