Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 05:42:15 PM

Author Topic: Help! runaway machine  (Read 5203 times)

Help! runaway machine
« on: May 06, 2013, 01:18:05 PM »
I am puzzled by the following:

I installed mach3 in a new pc.  I loaded Mach 3 with the old config file.
My program requires a tool change.
When I run the program, the drilling operation works fine in terms of the xyz coordinates.
When Mach 3 stops for a tool change, on start up  after the toolchange, the Y axis keeps moving, disregarding the coordinates until it hits the limit switch.
I home referenced the machine, then I tried to get the machine to move to the point where the new tool is to start cutting, and the machine, after a very brief pause, kept on moving forward.

Is there a setting that I am missing? Or is it in the code?

It's a production job, and I am pressed for time, so I need a quick solution.

With thanks,
tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Help! runaway machine
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
You will have to attach your xml, your code, your tool3.dat and your fixtures.dat and say where you get the problem happening in the code.
You will find the dat files in your profiles  macro folder.
You will have to zip them so that the forum will accept them.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:41:26 PM »
Here they are... thanks
tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
Seems to be working fine here, does the DRO and toolpath show it going away on Y?
Hood
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 07:21:19 PM »
The DRO keeps moving with the machine. I can't comment on the toolpath, given that I have to quickly turn off the machine.
I went from a slow pc( 1 ghz cpu) to a 3.3 ghz cpu. I imported the old mach3 profile, so I am wondering if some variables need to be changed, given the faster cpu.  This is the only thing I am not sure about, given that before the change in pc things worked perfectly.  Due to production pressures, I did not want to start playing with clock related settings in Mach 3.

Again, the only clue is that at the point where the machine is supposed to stop and start its second operation, it pauses for a moment and then keeps on going forward.

Is there merit to reinstalling Mach 3?   

tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:26:03 PM »
If it is just at the toolchange then can you try this.
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,24342.msg172512.html#msg172512

Hood
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:37:04 PM »
Changing to "ignore tool change" mode in general config appears to eliminate the "runaway" problem. I am still puzzled as to why on one pc things worked fine and on this new one I have this problem....

Hopefully, someone will find an answer.
tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 02:46:10 AM »
It seems strange things are happening due to the M6End macro being used, it is only used when the option is set to Stop Spindle and wait for Start.
 It could be version specific, are you using the latest version of Mach? If so it has known issues and this may be another. Try using an older version if that is the case.
Hood
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2013, 04:59:29 AM »
That's correct.
When I first encountered the problem, I  was using the latest version. What I had done is save the "old pc mach 3 folder".When  copied the old version folder to the new pc and saw that the Mach 3 driver had to be installed, I installed the newest version. After the installation, I moved the xml file into the new install.   
At this point, I had the "runaway" problem.   I looked at the version on my old pc, and saw that it was a bit older, so I decided to install this one over the newer one, assuming that similar files would be overwritten.

So currently, I am running with the slightly older version(*********.022).

Since I have the old pc files intact, can you perhaps provide a correct procedure for reinstalling Mach 3 on a new pc and moving over only those critical files?  Given that the issue, as you say, involves the Macro M6end, something got crossed....
tony

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:11 AM »
It could be the newer compter does not run the VB well, Terry has always said that the faster computers can have that issue, I have never had a problem myself however.
Anyway the m6end macro is in the macro folder then in the folder with the name of the profile you are using. Personally I would just delete all that is in it anyway as your code should set things up for you rather than relying on the macro to do it.
Hood