Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:11:38 PM

Author Topic: Control Mach3  (Read 4138 times)

Control Mach3
« on: May 04, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »
Hi, i am new in mach3... but i have experience in software for serial communication and microcontrollers programming, i was wondering if there is some possibility to control mach3 from outside software through serial port?

Example: Serial Com 2 <--> Com 3 (Com 2 and 3 are virtual serials linked )

I want to start milling after i type "Go" from one software (Not Mach3)... after typing  "Go"  from my X-program, i write something to serial port Com 2 (maybe some byte data), I want mach3 to recognise this data byte from the serial and start some G-code.... i hope i was clear :P ..

So, is it possible or not... maybe using the vb scripting or modbus i don't know... please help me here...

Thanks in advance

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
Re: Control Mach3
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 12:04:11 PM »
Hi xhuxhi - welcome.

Many ways to do it - what you're wanting to do is really just a soft pendant. Modbus is a way (as you say via a virtual com port) - but there are other ways too. Up to you really.

Ian
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
Hi.. thanks for the reply...i am very begginign and i don't know nothing... can you guide me just to create a very simple program in modbus...any way is ok for me... just i want to achieve the result..

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 01:47:51 PM »
<sigh>

from

i have experience in software for serial communication and microcontrollers programming, i was wondering if there is some possibility to control mach3 from outside software through serial port?

to

i am very begginign and i don't know nothing... can you guide me just to create a very simple program in modbus...any way is ok for me... just i want to achieve the result..

in just two posts.

Free lunches are two doors down.
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 01:52:12 PM »
I was talking about  mach3 when i said beginner, and not in microncontroller or serial port softwares ... so you wanna help or what?

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 03:23:55 PM »
Your post looked like one of the many "can you do it for me" type posts. My apologies if that was not the case.

OK - Mach can be configured as a modbus RTU master. Please see the videos under support at the top of the forum.
You already know about virtual com ports so you're ok there.
Next your app must be configured as a modbus slave to send command tokens to Mach3. There are many open source implementations and source codes available for modbus slaves.
Next you need to write either Mach3 macros or Brains to interpret those command tokens and carry out the control of Mach. Again see the videos and links under support for macros and/or brains.

Hope this helps you get started.
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 02:36:51 PM »

Thanks...i looked at this post

http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php?topic=23759.0 ....

it helped me a lot to understand how the modbust and Brain Controller works....

Thanks