Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:17:22 PM

Author Topic: Mach 3 axis moving after exit/estop  (Read 4584 times)

Mach 3 axis moving after exit/estop
« on: April 30, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
Thanks for locking my old thread with absolutely zero explanation as to why. I really appreciate that!

My machine seems to work fine, but when I press the reset button or exit mach 3 the x axis continues moving while in e-stop mode. Clearing the software e-stop makes the x axis quit moving. Playing with the motor tuning settings seems to change how the axis moves, but it always moves when it shouldn't. It's not moving very smoothly when this happens either, grinding and making lots of heat.

Turning the x axis pins off keep mach from moving the axis, but it still runs away in e-stop mode.

Is this a hardware issue or software?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Mach 3 axis moving after exit/estop
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
It would seem you need to explain to yourself why you locked your own topic without any explanation to yourself ;)

What it sounds like is you have something in windows that is trying to use the parallel port, when Mach is running it is in control and stopping it moving bit as soon as you shut Mach down then the device/software is able to communicate and thus your motor moves.

Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:23 AM »
Post your xml file and I'll see if I can see any problems.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline rcaffin

•  1,052 1,052
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 09:03:11 PM »
My machine seems to work fine, but when I press the reset button or exit mach 3 the x axis continues moving while in e-stop mode. Is this a hardware issue or software?
Hardware thru&thru imho.
Sounds as though your hardware is turning off the outputs of the optical BoB, so the Step lines into the motor driver(s) go into a high-Z state and are flailing in the breeze. Noise pickup is making the drivers turn the motor(s).
One cure is to require an active Enable into the drivers. The keep-alive pulse-train is often used for this.
Another cure is to put some moderately low impedance pull-ups onto the lines so they go inot one known state at power-off.

Cheers
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 04:24:30 PM »
It would seem you need to explain to yourself why you locked your own topic without any explanation to yourself ;)

What it sounds like is you have something in windows that is trying to use the parallel port, when Mach is running it is in control and stopping it moving bit as soon as you shut Mach down then the device/software is able to communicate and thus your motor moves.

Hood

I certainly wouldn't lock my own post, how silly would that be? Besides, I got a nice e-mail saying it was locked by a "stirling."

I guess if there's any question if it's a pirate license you just lock first and answer later? If you want to see my license just ask...

But that's besides the point. I seem to have the problem fixed. There was some setting in mach that fixed the problem, something like transformer on in e-stop? That fixed the runaway problem, though it still stutters hard when closing mach 3 unless you remember to turn power off to the drives first.

rcaffin, I believe this machine has relays on the outputs to kill the drives in a situation like that. The BoB brings the drives up, and if it ever looses power it clicks the drive off right away. Supposed to at least...

Thanks!

Offline stirling

•  2,188 2,188
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • www.razordance.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 03:56:01 AM »
I got a nice e-mail saying it was locked by a "stirling."

OK - I'm getting more than a little tired of people who haven't been on this forum for 5 minutes giving me the benefit of their sarcasm and disrespect.

I've been a member of this forum for seven years and a MOD for most of them. During that time I've done my level best to help hundreds of people AND taken my responsibilities as a MOD seriously - particularly when it comes to license issues.

Your first post strongly implies that you have not EXPLICITLY bought a license for this machine but have a TRANSFERRED license i.e. one that is actually licensed to someone else but that came with the machine when you bought it.

If you read http://www.machsupport.com/purchase.php you'll see that this is in direct contravention of the license conditions.

It was for that reason that I locked your thread whilst I took advice.

I guess if there's any question if it's a pirate license you just lock first and answer later? If you want to see my license just ask...

When I need your advice on how to MOD this site I'll be sure to ask you. I would have been absolutely within my rights to have BANNED you instantly according to the rules of the forum. Instead I chose to give you the benefit of the doubt and ask for advice before I did anything else.

As you've sarcastically pointed out, you got an email saying who locked your thread, there was absolutely nothing stopping you asking me why but you chose not to do so. That is your problem not mine.

Stirling